Some old lens questions! :)

ladyred

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I recently acquired two old lenses. One is a Cimko MT series 100-300mm, and the other is a Soligor 75-260mm. I have a Canon Rebel XS and I was wondering if I can use them with my camera and if so, what mounts would I need?

I appreciate any help I can get! Thanks :)

It depends on the mounts the lens have. Not all are adaptable due to registration distance, but when it is possible (M42, Pentax K, Nikon, Exakta...) you find adapters on Ebay. Look here for some more info: Photoethnography.com - Classic Cameras
My Canon XS hosts frequently old lenses, including a couple of Zeiss Jena, Vivitar, Rikenon and so.
Consider that old zooms are often not great; while prime lenses are sometimes worth the expense.

Thanks so much, that link helped :)

Here are pics of the mounts,

The Cimko:
wv711w.jpg

2ey7yhk.jpg

The Soligor:
r8z42w.jpg

The Soligor seems like an M42 (is it a screw?). It is better if you try to focus, perhaps staying more far. If you bought themm on Ebay, I'm sure description was complete.

Hey everyone, I recently acquired two old lenses. One is a Cimko MT series 100-300mm, and the other is a Soligor 75-260mm. I have a Canon Rebel XS and I was wondering if I can use them with my camera and if so, what mounts would I need?

I appreciate any help I can get! Thanks :)
Hi there, I have cimko my series 100-300 mm lens i wonder what kind of adapter I need maybe you have any ideas? Thank you so much

To add to enzodm's comment :
Canon's EF mount is one of the most adaptable SLR mounts, having a short flange distance & a wide throat. Most common SLR mounts can be adapted - I think Canon's manual focus mounts (FD/FL) and the Minolta A mount are the only common exceptions.
Rangefinder & mirrorless mounts are a completely different matter though. I'm fairly sure your zooms won't be those.

I agree the Soligor looks like a M42, I'm not sure on the other but it reminds me of canon's FD mount (not one I've used so I could be wrong!)

For the M42 stuff you will need an adapter like this. If you see that small metal pole coming out of the lens, that controls the iris. It will need to be depressed (by the adapter) to that your F-stop setting on the lens will work. These poles were generally triggered by the cameras back in the day but the new DSLR's don't have the stuff to control them any more. Make sure the adapter has the inner ring to depress that. The one I linked claims to depress the pin as it should.

Keep in mind that when you use an adapter like this the focus scale on the lens may not be accurate. Since the lens will be mounted at a slightly different flange depth it will not line up as it did on the original camera. As such on your cannon (shorter flange depth) you will get infinity focus a bit before the infinity focus stop, and you will be able to get a bit closer on the other end of the focus range.

Regards
Dave

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you so much I thought that might be k mount I ordered one adapter see if it's fits
Much appreciated
Bulent

For the M42 stuff you will need an adapter like this. If you see that small metal pole coming out of the lens, that controls the iris. It will need to be depressed (by the adapter) to that your F-stop setting on the lens will work. These poles were generally triggered by the cameras back in the day but the new DSLR's don't have the stuff to control them any more. Make sure the adapter has the inner ring to depress that. The one I linked claims to depress the pin as it should.

Keep in mind that when you use an adapter like this the focus scale on the lens may not be accurate. Since the lens will be mounted at a slightly different flange depth it will not line up as it did on the original camera. As such on your cannon (shorter flange depth) you will get infinity focus a bit before the infinity focus stop, and you will be able to get a bit closer on the other end of the focus range.

Regards
Dave
The Soligor lens has a switch to set Auto or manual. In the manual position the pin is ignored.
A well made adapter will be made to correct perfectly for the difference in rear flange distances, but many of the cheaper ones are out significantly most being slightly too short so that infinity is reached with the lens set to somewhere closer - a few are too long and unable to focus on infinity with some lenses!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Sorry guys but I keep asking questions
But I need to know what kind of adapter I need for this mount if anyone knows I will be appreciated
Thank you so much!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 206
That looks rather like a Pentax K mount.

The mount in the picture is a bayonet mount. M42 is not a bayonet - it is a threaded mount.

What make of lens is it?

Most reactions

Back