Some old lens questions! :)

Instead of buying adapters that will cost you more than the value of the lenses you're trying to adapt (and most likely end up with crappy images due to cheap lenses), why not just eave up for a more modern, usable and better quality lens you know will work, meter, mount and maintain infinity focus?

Instead of buying adapters that will cost you more than the value of the lenses you're trying to adapt (and most likely end up with crappy images due to cheap lenses), why not just eave up for a more modern, usable and better quality lens you know will work, meter, mount and maintain infinity focus?
Hi,I am new on this i try to get ideas and learn
I can get better lenses for sure but at the moment I can't spend more that's why I was ordering vintage lenses which is not a great idea
Anyway thanks for opinion.

I can get better lenses for sure but at the moment I can't spend more that's why I was ordering vintage lenses which is not a great idea

It's certainly better to know what mount the lens is before buying it, and I't probably also worth doing a bit more research on the specific lenses. I've heard of Soligor, but they're not renowned for making good lenses, I've not even heard of Cimko. Lenses of this type can often be had for £5-10, buying a different adapter for each one will add considerably more to you expenses than buying a range of better lenses in a single mount.

Bare in mind there are quite a large number of mounts that have been made over the years which can be visually fairly similar, if you have the chance to look at the lens before buying it helps considerably to make sure it fits your adapter/camera even without that if the lens has a rear cap that might have some markings that identify the mount.

I had a Soligor 500mm for a while, not a terrible lens but not that great either it was fixed at F8 and only really good if it was nice and bright out. Most of their stuff was made in Japan however there was some German made stuff over the years it seems. I would say the build quality is OK but not great, you can coax a nice photo out of some of their stuff if you know its limitations. As mentioned you are better off waiting and buying one nice lens as opposed to 10 different cheap ones and a bunch of adapters (I learned that the hard way...).

yes, buying vintage lens (for your purposes) is probably not a good idea
look at an older 55-250IS around $50 - $75 used

Most reactions

Back