Some Photos For C&C

Skedaddle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Here are some new shots I have taken. The first three are taken with the Canon Powershot S3 IS and the last two were taken last night and earlier today with my new Canon Reble XSi. I'm still learning how to use the camera but I'm enjoying it so far. Please let me know how these photo look. Are they interesting? Is the lighting ok? Does the composition look good?

(1) I would have loved to get rid of the buildings on the left but I wasn't able to.

EXIF
Exposure Time - 1/200 sec
Shutter Speed - 1/202 sec
F-Stop - f/3.50
Focal Length - 12.90 mm

3613288207_47e5ae6857.jpg

(2) Does the coloring and lighting look ok on this one?

EXIF
Exposure Time - 1/640 sec
Shutter Speed - 1/636 sec
F-Stop - f/2.70
Focal Length - 6.00 mm

3616769285_e7e154eae4.jpg

(3) Does he look too pale? He has fair skin in real life but I'm not sure if he looks too pale in the photo.

EXIF
Exposure Time - 1/160 sec
Shutter Speed - 1/159 sec
F-Stop - f/3.20
Focal Length - 11.30 mm

3613290217_bdfe7f2b56.jpg

(4) Here is one of the first photos I took with my new camera. Our power went out last night during a storm so I took the opportunity to get a shot of the candles. I used my 18-55mm lens for this shot.

EXIF
ISO - 400
Exposure Time - 1/25 sec
Shutter Speed - 1/25 sec
F-Stop - f/5.60
Focal Length - 28.00 mm

3617590172_1aa6369176.jpg

(5) Took this about an hour ago and I liked the look of it. I used my 18-55mm lens for this one.

EXIF
ISO - 160
Exposure Time - 1/500 sec
Shutter Speed - 1/512 sec
F-Stop - f/6.30
Focal Length - 50.00 mm

3617589896_737d982f64.jpg

Congrats! Time to update that sig!

Nice shots too BTW.

Picture #1 is nice, but it doesn't do that much for me. It is a nice example of the ROT though!

Picture #2 is beautiful. I love the soft colors, the soft lighting and the tack-sharp focus. Great job.

Picture #3 is nice. I love how his eyes are SO blue and shiny. The catchlights are great here. He does not look too pale to me. However, I don't care for the brick wall behind him. It is too urban, tough, I don't know...it's just not sweet enough for a little guy like that.

Picture #4 doesn't do too much for me either. I like the black background and I think you did a nice job capturing the flame. It looks nicely focused, but not too exciting for me.

Picture #5. This one is ok. I like the innocence of the picture, but maybe it's just too busy for me. I wonder if maybe you can clone out the stings hanging between her legs. I like the B & W.

Congrats on the new camera!!

Thanks for the comments. :) Do you think the third photo would look better if I blurred the background more? I agree that he looks good but there was something about the background that was bugging me and I was unsure of what it was. I agree about the first and 4th photos not being too exciting but I liked how the candle photo turned out. I can try cloning out the strings but I'm not sure if I'll be able to or not.

Last edited:
Thank you for the comments blondie621 and bigboi3. :)

linpelk - Here is my go at cloning out the strings and I edited the background too on photo #5.

3617273739_b2ba7292c4.jpg

#1 nice composition and colour saturation in the image. Its nothing that will win awards, but its very well executed.

#2 my fave of the set. Nice choice to center the picture, it works very well (gotta love symetry). Colours are great. Nice job

#3 love the sharpness of the boy and man, those eyes are intense. I don't mind the brick wall, makes me think of a school yard / recess time. Not sure about the ear cut off though... I don't mind the head cut.

#4 Same as #1. Its a nicely done photo, nice exposure. I find the composition a bit blah.

#5 Great picture. Again, nice job with the composition here. I like the BW choice.

Thank you for the comments bigtwinky. :) I did actually go and blur the background a bit on #3 but I'm not sure which I like better. I'll have to go and compare them. Anyone else?

I think the cloning on pic #5 helped. It eliminated some of the distractions. nice job.

Please let me know how these photo look. Are they interesting? Is the lighting ok? Does the composition look good?

(1) I would have loved to get rid of the buildings on the left but I wasn't able to.
For me, the shed on the right is too far to the right. Don't care for the sapling in front of it too. Nice double rainbows, but did you also shoot this one in landscape orientation?
(2) Does the coloring and lighting look ok on this one?
You can tell this one was shot with a P&S camera because of the noise in it. Also seems to have a little CA on the left side petals. Would be interesting to see this shot with the XSi.
(3) Does he look too pale? He has fair skin in real life but I'm not sure if he looks too pale in the photo.
No, he doesn't look too pale. This is a nicely exposed shot.
(4) Here is one of the first photos I took with my new camera. Our power went out last night during a storm so I took the opportunity to get a shot of the candles. I used my 18-55mm lens for this shot.
Good job making the most of the situation. It's a nice shot but would have liked it more if the candles were a little higher in the frame.
(5) Took this about an hour ago and I liked the look of it. I used my 18-55mm lens for this one.
Is the 18-55mm your only lens or did you get the 55-250mm too? With a longer focal length you would be able to reduce the DOF and help put the background out of focus a bit. Did you shoot this in landscape orientation too?

i just love candle shots. i always play with candles and various objects cause i think the light they throw is awesome. for me the shed in the first is ok, i dont mind it. and the kid... nice shot, i love the eyes and the composition.

#1 I'm distracted by the shed being just barely cut off on the right side. The rainbow is cool but it seems like a lot of dead space around it... Maybe would work better as a landscape?

#2 Very cool and a good example of breaking the rule of 3rds I think. I would try to noise reduce the shadows though.

#3 The eyes are quite striking. If he stood a bit farther from the wall you might get more of a pleasing bokeh effect.

#4 I like it. I might have framed the candles slightly higher within the shot, or cropped a bit more from the top.

#5 I don't really like black and white, but the composition seems good. I think it's better with the original background. The cloned area seems to have some periodicity in the texture of the grass which makes it look wrong to me.

Most reactions

Back