Some Photos for C&C

Kansasdude

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some background: I started out shooting 35 mm film in the late 70's. In the early 90's I switched to a pocket digital for the convenience factor, but never liked the limited control over exposure. Recently I purchased a used Pentax K100 DSLR so I could re-use my old manual lenses and regain creative control. While I'm reasonably comfortable with exposure, I had previously always used whatever lighting was available. These photos represent my experiments with lighting.

Item #1: Shot using 4 100W equiv. CFL's daylight balanced, two left of frame two right. EXIF Data says: Exposure: 0.01 sec (1/100)Aperture: f/4.5 ISO Speed: 400 (Manual exposure)

4434579918_1fc815b7eb_o.jpg

This was self-shot using the kit lens and relying on the camera to autofocus. I was never quite happy with the result. Complete set available here: March 14, 2010 - a set on Flickr

Item #2 Shot using four 100W equiv. CFL's daylight balanced Left side of frame, two 100W equiv. CFL's right side plus 60W equiv. CFL hair lamp rear. Shot with manual lens set at 35mm F2.5 125th/sec. ISO 400 (Full manual mode)

4453431158_c874b596a0_o.jpg

Again self-shot, but using manual focus. I still may be slightly out of focus, but at least the results were consistent. The complete set is available here: March 21, 2010 - a set on Flickr

Set #3 Outdoor shots, using manual exposure and focusing. Two reflectors on left to provide fill light. The 150mm f/3.5 1/1250th/sec ISO 200

4471794666_5c9bb17c95_o.jpg

Again self-shot. Taken at 4pm with the afternoon sun over my left shoulder (right side of frame). Two large reflectors left of frame. Complete set is available here: March 28, 2010 - a set on Flickr

Please note that I like a lot of contrast in my images so that was a conscious decision on my part.

The problems with the first pictures is the background being to dark and due that makes your hair merge with the darkness losing your figure of your head to the background. As for the last picture your also not standing out from the background due to the lighting being relatively the same to yourself and the background. Oh, also on the first picture part of your face is out of focus around your eyes, other than that it looks rather professional in pose.

I dont like the 2nd one, you have these dark setting and your wearing a bright orange t-shirt and socks, try going for a darker t-shirt next time.

and I agree with DarkCrown on the other two

i for some reason don't like seeing the bottom of the photos in the first two. the lighting in the first 2 isnt bad but if you had a slightly lighter bg color or a rim or hair light, i think it would be better

Here's another one from the second shoot, same lighting conditions and settings, but different shirt and slightly different pose allowing for different light fall.

4453432312_84a3176fce_o.jpg

Does this look any better to you? I know from experience that different monitors will make a big difference on how you perceive the contrast. On my calibrated monitor the first shot is lacking contrast, but the second one is within what I would call acceptable.

I feel like your face is out of focus in the first one... and I'm not sure I like the way the light is catching in your right eye... I honestly thought I had a spec of dust on my computer screen and tried to wipe it off before I realized it was the reflection of the light in your eye, :lol:
I know the first one isn't focused quite right. For some reason even when I set the focus point the autofocus wouldn't lock in a sharp focus on the face. That's the reason I did the second set on manual focus. Plus I think my older manual lens is just naturally sharper than the kit lens.

Here's another one from the second shoot, same lighting conditions and settings, but different shirt and slightly different pose allowing for different light fall.

[image deleted from quote]

Does this look any better to you? I know from experience that different monitors will make a big difference on how you perceive the contrast. On my calibrated monitor the first shot is lacking contrast, but the second one is within what I would call acceptable.

I like this *outfit* better... but what someone said earlier about your hair blending into the background still applies.

I'm at work now and the image looks considerably different than at home. If you're seeing what I'm seeing at work I can understand your complaint. At home there's a lot more contrast between the hair and background. I was trying to use a hair light but apparently I didn't have it placed right. If I had been shooting someone other than myself I would have probably noticed the problems during the shoot rather than after. ;)

How's this, same photo as above but added 3/4 stop more exposure, changed the contrast curve, and altered the sharpening.

2458007110050224778qBlsJo_fs.jpg
2458007110050224778S600x600Q85.jpg

Since I shoot in RAW it's easy to go back and make changes. So other than my tendency to slightly underexpose is there anything else wrong with the lighting? Outside needing more a bit more light on the hair?

Most reactions

Back