Some Pictures of my Drive Along Lake Michigan

rickabobaloey

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I went on a 3 day mini-vacation to Lake Michigan (it's been over 10 years since I've been to the beach!!) and took lots of pictures. Here are the ones I thought turned out the best. Constructive criticism welcome as always.

1)
4806215321_a465f164d8.jpg

2)
4806840314_f52d949b41.jpg

3)
4806841674_f7508358d0.jpg

4)
4806843094_945b6de63b.jpg

5)
4806844926_d1ca7149f3.jpg

6)
4806224221_1c3cfea218.jpg

7)
4806226015_7740616754.jpg

one is def ur winner out of the bunch.

the contrast edit = better b&w presenatation.

I think #2 is the best composition. #1 is good, but needs more contrast.

Love Lake Michigan.

Number one is good with the more contrasty edit. You dont want too much gray.

The rest dont really stand out to me.

I like #3 but it is too dark, same as #2.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

I do like the contrast from the edit by Bus_Rider on the first photo. Looks really awesome! :thumbup:

How'd you do that, by the way? I'm sure some sort of software was involved in the process, but not sure what.

Number 2, 3, and 4 were the best shots out of that bunch I was able to get. It was around 6:30-ish in the morning and it was pretty cloudy (started pouring on me about 10 minutes after I got out there).

I really liked the looks of the sky, but whenever I would focus on the water or the lighthouse in the distance, the sky didn't turn out. So what I had to do to get the sky to turn out like it did was point the lens up at the sky, press the shutter button halfway down and then refocus on what I wanted to capture and press it the rest of the way down.

Which then made the water, and everything else a lot darker.

This is why I'm a newbie, and have no problems admiting that. There's a learning curve for everything. :)

I do like the contrast from the edit by Bus_Rider on the first photo. Looks really awesome! :thumbup:

How'd you do that, by the way? I'm sure some sort of software was involved in the process, but not sure what.

First off.. Thank you for the compliment. :)

I used the open source (free) photo editing software called Gimp. I am not a master by any definition of the word when it comes to PP... However I do know the basics and more often than not my editing skills are sufficient. :)

I simply edited the contrast a little bit from within Gimp... And the result, although not perfect, shows how my "mind's eye" saw the image you made.

I downloaded GIMP today and have used it on a couple of my other pictures which I posted in another thread.

In those ones someone suggested that the photo would look better in b&w so I switched the image to greyscale and then played around with the brightness and contrast levels.

I'm not sure how much I want to really edit my photos. I want to be able to just take a good photo right from the camera with as littleto no editing. Alas, I'm not sure how probable that is.

Iso I switched the image to greyscale and then played around with the brightness and contrast levels.

I'm not sure how much I want to really edit my photos. I want to be able to just take a good photo right from the camera with as littleto no editing. Alas, I'm not sure how probable that is.

As for converting to B&W... I think you may see better results if (from Gimp) you use the "Image" menu option... select mode and choose Gray-scale... rather than removing the saturation from the "Colors" menu. :) Although you can do it whichever way works best for you. :)

That is how I use gimp... I don't want to "change" the image... just fix the little things. Adjusting levels convert to B&W or Sepia and such too improve a good photo... After all... you can't make a bad photo look good... (in my opinion anyway).

You are right... its best to get it correct right out of the camera. But programs like Gimp and Photoshop can really help in making the needed adjustments. :)

The first one is the best, but, um, your horizon is crooked and it's bugging the crap out of me, lol. Fix that and it will be golden. :)

Thanks for the response, Gaerek.

The first picture overwhelmingly seems to be the favorite out of these shots. I didn't notice the horizon being so crooked until you said something, but now that you did, it bugs the heck out of me as well!

Definitely should be using my tripod. I picked up a little cheap $30 one from Wal*Mart to get me by, but it's a pain in the rear to carry around. Especially when I was walking 4-5 miles at a time. So I was pretty much just hand holding the camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back