Some pointers about my photo's please

Kempe Photography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

My name is Dan, I've just really got into taking my photography further. I've started with taking portraits, mainly or babies and children. If you are interested to see some, you can do so by going to www.kempephotography.co.uk.

Basically I want to know if what i've taken is good, acceptable, if you would pay money for it (if it were your child). And any help would be grateful indeed

Thanks!

I look forward to some replys.

If you want more direct comments, chose 2-3 images and post them up. People have a tendency to give more replies when the pictures are on the forums.

I had a quick look and they are nice images. They all seem pretty bright with a lack of contrast though. This might be your style, I dunno

Hi guys,

Thanks for your comments. I was going for a bright style photo. By the way, how do I upload photo's to the forum?

I'm going to put some more pics up on the website tonight. Kempe Photography

If you are from Plymouth, I'm doing photo's for free at the moment, you'll just have to pay for any prints you want. So if you don't like the photos you don't pay anything. The reason I'm doing this is to learn more, and beef up my portfolio on the website.

Thanks for reading.

Daniel Kempe :lol:

Hi, thanks for your comments. How would one add more contrast to the image?

I like the ones on the site. cute kids.

You should try to branch out and get maybe kids and some adults on your site so that people can see what you would do with that.

Also, as far as contrast, there are tons of post processing programs out there to work with pictures you have already taken. I use Raw Therapee and Photoshop. I think a lot of your pictures are overexposed though so if you fix that, you should see more contrast even without PP. I like the overexposure though. It works.

IMG_1488-1.jpg

IMG_1491.jpg

IMG_1389.jpg

Across the board, I'd say concentrate on focusing the camera on the subject's eyes. that's what people look at. I think that's what's annoying me about your pictures... that's just me being nit picky though. They're good pictures.

Ok, thanks for your comments. I'll try to focus the eyes. Any pointers on how to do that? As I have it on auto-focus all the time, I think it's focusing on whatever is nearest. Shall I try manually focusing? I can see what your saying about the eye focus though.

I would just like to say, this is my first attempt. I use a piece of white blackout sheeting I purchased at Dunelm. My wife holds it up, while I shoot away. I haven't done any editing other than making it black and white.

check your camera settings. Mine has 3. I forget what the other two are, because they are rubbish, but I have it set to focus on what is exactly in the center of the frame. That way I have control over what it focuses on. There are other settings where it picks whatever it wants, but when you get into shallower DOFs, you need control. After you do that, just aim directly at an eye and go. With aperture settings like f1.8, the eyes will be out of focus even if you aim at the bridge of the nose directly in between them.

well, try it and see if you like it... I'm just learning about portraits too, and I'm definitely no expert, but that is something that I have noticed.

Most reactions

Back