Some portraits I took for family, critique welcome.

TheUndisputed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Critique wanted. Other than camera angle. These were taken using a tripod that said it was level and obviously wasn't.

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

DSC_0168.jpg

their good but i dont like how it's dark shaded on the edges. i think family photos like those should be brighten more

Im not crazy about the dark vignette. I think its making them look darker then they should.

Other then that I think they look pretty good. I might do a little curves boost to brighten them up a tad.

I like the darkened edges, it frames the family members well. Preference I suppose.

Tighter crops for 1 and 2 . You can fix the tilt with photoshop. I dont know if the dark areas were PP if so lose them. They are not enhancing the photos in any way.

Thanks for all of the comments guys. The vignettes were not added in editing. I shot this series using 2 JTL J-160 Strobes with halogen headlamps fixed with snoots for light direction. Each one were set in the back left and right corners of the room to create a "spotlight" effect on the subjects. I do see where you all are coming from, though. Too much contrast, and the vignettes actually take away from the image.

Next time I shoot portraits I will make the light scale more evenly across the plane.

Any other suggestions?

The first thing I noticed was the mantle slicing through your subjects.

Secondly was how busy the background is, making my eyes more interested in the cards, knick-knacks and the stockings. A better approach IMO would be to open the aperture and have your subjects move ~6 feet from the back ground, if possible. This would help blur the background and your subjects would pop and decidedly be the subject of the image. I will refrain from commenting on his jacket. :biggrin:

I'm not too bothered by the applied vignetting, but do agree with others that they needs to be brightened some.

Most reactions

Back