Some portraits I took for family, critique welcome.

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by TheUndisputed, Jan 25, 2009.

1. TheUndisputed

TheUndisputed TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Critique wanted. Other than camera angle. These were taken using a tripod that said it was level and obviously wasn't.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. a1157814a

a1157814a TPF Noob!

their good but i dont like how it's dark shaded on the edges. i think family photos like those should be brighten more

3. Sarah23

Sarah23 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Im not crazy about the dark vignette. I think its making them look darker then they should.

Other then that I think they look pretty good. I might do a little curves boost to brighten them up a tad.

4. Ziffy

Ziffy TPF Noob!

I like the darkened edges, it frames the family members well. Preference I suppose.

5. Mgw189

Mgw189 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Tighter crops for 1 and 2 . You can fix the tilt with photoshop. I dont know if the dark areas were PP if so lose them. They are not enhancing the photos in any way.

6. TheUndisputed

TheUndisputed TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks for all of the comments guys. The vignettes were not added in editing. I shot this series using 2 JTL J-160 Strobes with halogen headlamps fixed with snoots for light direction. Each one were set in the back left and right corners of the room to create a "spotlight" effect on the subjects. I do see where you all are coming from, though. Too much contrast, and the vignettes actually take away from the image.

Next time I shoot portraits I will make the light scale more evenly across the plane.

Any other suggestions?

7. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The first thing I noticed was the mantle slicing through your subjects.

Secondly was how busy the background is, making my eyes more interested in the cards, knick-knacks and the stockings. A better approach IMO would be to open the aperture and have your subjects move ~6 feet from the back ground, if possible. This would help blur the background and your subjects would pop and decidedly be the subject of the image. I will refrain from commenting on his jacket. :biggrin:

I'm not too bothered by the applied vignetting, but do agree with others that they needs to be brightened some.