Some Questions

Crazysah

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I did not know where to post this and I thought this was the most appropriate section. If not, then you can shift it.

Basically, I want to start a portfolio of all my photographs so I can show it to newspapers or colleges or for internships or whatever.

Where should I start? I was thinking along the lines of Flickr or something? Or my own blog?

Do post all your suggestions and ideas here...

Thanks
Crazysah

If you are serious about showcasing your work, you will probably want to have them look at something other than flickr. It just seems as though a business/client would be impacted to a greater degree when viewing photos on a personal site. Unfortunately, I have never ventured into this realm so I cannot steer you in the right direction, but good luck! :thumbup:

All I want to do is showcase my work. I am not so serious about selling them or anything right now but all I want to do is to get noticed at the moment.

My personal opinion? Use a blog that will allow you to post high res images and not have any adds to distract from your work. Blogger offers some decent options, for free too.

Consider that you may not be very "serious" about it now. But in the future you might change your mind. A profesional looking portfolio (or more professional looking) will be easier to build now than having to recreate it and move all you pics/files from another site.

Last edited:
My personal opinion? Use a blog that will allow you to post high res images and not have any adds to distract from your work. Blogger offers some decent options, for free too.

Consider that you may not be very "serious" about it now. But in the future you might change your mind. A profesional looking portfolio (or more professional looking) will be easier to build now than having to recreate it and move all you pics/files from another site.

That's a good idea. Any idea where I can get someone to build the website for me for not so expensive? I can't build the website as I don't have the time so...

I would have your own site, it identifies your images with "you", if your creative do it yourself, if you only so so, have it done, you don't get a second chance for your first impression.

I would have your own site, it identifies your images with "you", if your creative do it yourself, if you only so so, have it done, you don't get a second chance for your first impression.

I have a lot going on now so I cannot create it myself at the moment. So I want someone to do it.

My budget would be $50-75 max. Preferably less. Any web design services out there or does anyone know someone who is willing to do it?

I don't know of any, not to be rude, but especially at that amount, I went to a web designer and it was starting at $200 :grumpy: Maybe finding a student at a local college or Univ. to help you out, good luck. :thumbup:

I'll recommend what I always recommend. Smugmug is a great place to host your online portfolio. It does cost money, but even the lowest membership ($40 a year, I think) looks way more professional than Flickr. For (I think) $60 a year, you can even completely customize your Smugmug site, and even use your own domain. It's only a few bucks a month, and it really is a great place to put your photos.

Well then... It doesn't have to be professional? Can be done by a student even or someone starting out or someone freelancing?

EDIT: How much better is Smugmug than Flickr? Will I get noticed more there?

I'm a bit confused about what you want. First, you say:

Basically, I want to start a portfolio of all my photographs so I can show it to newspapers or colleges or for internships or whatever.
But then you go on to say:

All I want to do is showcase my work. I am not so serious about selling them or anything right now but all I want to do is to get noticed at the moment.
If you want to show it to potential employers and/or educators, that sounds pretty serious. If you just like posting pictures to a site for people to look at and comment on, Flickr is great for that. If you're trying to get a job, or get into a school, or get an internship, it's all about presentation. It's pretty brutal to say, but most 'professional' photographers have day jobs (with certain exceptions, such as wedding/event photographer, etc) and supplement their income with photography. Having said this, getting a job as a photographer (or internship, or whatever) will take hard work on your part.

I took a class in college that was essentially how to get a job. Basically, if you spend 5 minutes on your resume, don't do any research on the company you apply for, and don't practice interview questions, you probably won't get the job. However, if you craft your resume for the position you want, put together a portfolio of related work you can show the potential employer, research the company to find reasons why you want to work there, and practice for the interview, you have a much better chance at getting the job, even if you're less qualified. You can apply this same thing to photography. A Flickr site that just looks like you spent a few minutes uploading photos makes you look like everyone else. But if you spend time to make a nice looking portfolio, caption every photo, and simply make it look like you actually care about photography, you stand out from the rest, even if you aren't as good as other photographers.

You really need to decide exactly why you want to get noticed, and showcase your work. If it really is nothing too serious, then Flickr is just fine. But if you (maybe not now) eventually want to get a job in photography, or sell photos, or something like that, the $3.25 a month that Smugmug costs (plus a little marketing of yourself) is well worth the investment. At this point, I'm not sure you know what you want. People might stumble onto your photos through Flickr easier than Smugmug, but with a little marketing on your part, you will get noticed a lot more using Smugmug (or other sites, like Zenfolio).

See at the moment I am not looking for anything. I will show the portfolio to colleges (am applying this year) and that's about it.

During college, if I get some orders or some stuff then it will be good for me to get some money from selling them.

I want lots of comments and a nice place to sell the photographs easily.

Am I being specific enough? So what exactly would you recommend?

It seems like you're leaning more towards the professional side of things. If not now, certainly later. Will Flickr work for what you want? Sure, it will. But I think in the long run, you will be far better served with something else. Smugmug is great. There are other 'pay for service' photo hosting sites that are really good also. I don't know much about any of the others, but the one I know of off the top of my head is Zenfolio.

How you have your images hosted is a reflection on you, and people have certain attitudes when it comes to Flickr. I think Flickr is great, but a lot of people have the attitude that Flickr isn't something 'real' photographers use. Before the flames start, I don't believe this for one second, however, there are people who do.

In the end, it's up to you. Each site out there is great, and has it's own perks.

Do you have your own website? Or know someone that can make me a website? I think that is what I want really...
If I can't find that cheap then the next best alternative is
Smugmug or Zenfolio or Flickr...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back