Some recent ones using my 430ex II flash

Derek Zoolander

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Some shots of friends skating at a nearby church. I was going for a dramatic surreal look...thoughts? C&C?

3855876845_bf06e4c679.jpg

2. (This one was out of focus, but thought it worked and almost looked like it was on purpose)
3855875513_1a1a3337dd.jpg

3855869283_47d4a6649b.jpg

3856660964_ba1b337843.jpg

3856655874_6ea4f991ee_b.jpg

3855859639_df32f3ae90_b.jpg

3855863389_a565020a9d_b.jpg

There are a few others here if interested: Jessie + Mike + Skate - a set on Flickr

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:
I really like these. The end of the handrail in the seventh keeps catching my eye, you may want to consider editing it out.

Thanks Mturulski! At least I got ONE statement for these pictures! Gotcha on the handrail, I caught that after the fact too...

Can a mod maybe move this to the people photography section where I can maybe get more feed back?

Some nice night shots here. My favorite shot is the first, great capture! I think you achieved the dramatic look you were after and you seem to have a good eye for composition.

The out of focus shot does not work too well for me for that reason, but, personal taste.

Thanks for sharing!

Cool shots. I like number 1 and 7 the best, though I might crop out a little bit of the dead space on the bottom of 7. The OOF on number 2 isn't doing much for me. Love the lighting in general on the shots though, keep it up!

Really awesome pictures C:
may i ask what were your settings for this?

Hello, I am new here as well but really liked your pictures. I like the "air" pictures. The portraits are good as well I just would have liked a little fill on the shadows.
Anyways, agree with the handrail comment.

good job

respectfully

Jim

i really like the dark backgrounds on these it puts all the attention on the riders and makes it look like they're getting a lot of air

just wondering what are you using to trigger the flash? im guessing its off camera

Some nice night shots here. My favorite shot is the first, great capture! I think you achieved the dramatic look you were after and you seem to have a good eye for composition.

The out of focus shot does not work too well for me for that reason, but, personal taste.

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Clawed, it's nice to get some feedback, good or bad. I was pretty excited about these pictures and was a littl ebummed when I didnt get a response since it tends to mean "bleh" or "boring". Either way, I'd like to know, ya know? I'm still working on composition, but I think I'm getting there.

Cool shots. I like number 1 and 7 the best, though I might crop out a little bit of the dead space on the bottom of 7. The OOF on number 2 isn't doing much for me. Love the lighting in general on the shots though, keep it up!

Thank you, definitely still working on getting the lighting right, but I'm learning it takes a lot of running back and forth.

Really awesome pictures C:
may i ask what were your settings for this?

Nearly all were shot at 1/250 or 1/200 any faster and it cuts the picture off due to synching with the flash. #1 and #6 I used a 430ex ii with a 42" umbrella camera right at 1/4 power really close to the skater and a really crappy $18 Smith-Victor mini-slave flash with an 18" umbrella camera left again really close to the skater at full power (the only choice on this). He had a narrow entry for sure. The others were just using one 430ex ii at 1/16 power camera right.

Hello, I am new here as well but really liked your pictures. I like the "air" pictures. The portraits are good as well I just would have liked a little fill on the shadows.
Anyways, agree with the handrail comment.

good job

respectfully

Jim

I was definitely going for the "air" look. I think I had seen a bunch of skate pictures like this somewhere else and always wanted to see if I could accomplish the look. I just think skating is so difficult to do and wanted to capture someone doing it gracefully without boundaries.

i really like the dark backgrounds on these it puts all the attention on the riders and makes it look like they're getting a lot of air

just wondering what are you using to trigger the flash? im guessing its off camera

Thank you FDSA, definitely what I was going for. I'm afraid maybe some people don't get it. I showed my friend and he said "I don't get it. Is he skating in space? Where is the ground?"

These were triggered using Cactus V2s. One transmitter and one receiver. For #1 and #6 I used the mini-slaves which were triggered by their optical sensor.

That exact flash is scheduled for delivery to me tomorrow; i can't wait! my first flash.

It's my first good flash too! I love it to so far, I would love to get another one, but I think my budget is telling me to lean towards a Strobist LumoPro of Vivitar 285HV.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back