Some recent winter photos

arais81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, new to this-I hope I posted in the right section, if not move it and I apologize in advance:blushing:
We had a bit of snow for the past few days here so I thought I'd take some photos-I'd like some critique on these so I can know what to do better next time.
I'm using a canon 400d and 18-55mm lens.

1)
3075454712_6fd3498862.jpg

2)
3069237170_d6237a5d50.jpg

3)
3064244322_be5947491a.jpg

4)
3063409229_6b32cde3cb.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3187/3075454712_6fd3498862.jpg

Wow those are very nicely captured. I like 1 the best, although similar to 4, I like that there's a lot of snow on the trees, and the repetition down the road is stunning! What shutter speed and aperture was the first one?

1/60, F3.5 I think.
Thanks, I like 1) as well, I just wish I captured that couple walking down the path when they were a bit closer.

Thanks for the shutter/apeture info! Also curious, what time of day was that? looks like late afternoon before sunset? Tripod?

It was around 3pm if I'm correct -the second picture was taken about 15 minutes after the first and it was getting dark already!
no tripod

Last edited:
I really like number two because it seems to have two different sections one is sunny with the nicely lit branch, then there is the dark cloud covered land.

The second one is my fav
i love the way that the sun light lites up the tree

1 - print and mount on wall
2 - less ground, more tree branches/clouds
3 - use aperature priority mode and set the focus point to the center dot, use the max aperature for that lens (3.5 or whatever), focus on the foliage and shoot it again.
4 - Print and mount on wall next to 1
Great shots all around, did you freeze? I'm waiting for more snow in MN before I head out.

Nice shots! I really like the first and the second one.

Thanks for the comments everyone!
I didn't freeze since it wasn't really that cold, but my camera had loads of problems by the end-and I was only out for about 2 hours.
Most of the snow is gone now, but I'm located near the Alps, so I hope we'll get more.

Your batteries probably started to freeze up, it's always a good idea to keep a spare or two in your coat pocket so they stay warm, then cycle new batteries in and out of that pocket.

Yeah, I knew batteries would probably be a problem, but they were doing quite well, I only have one so I warmed it between walking and taking the shots.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back