Some river bends and a natural teeter-totter

scole

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.scolephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After failing to reach the "horseshoe bend" of the Horseshoe Bend Trail alongside the North Fork Nooksack River due to darkness, I returned yesterday. I did some investigation in Google Earth and discovered that there was another horseshoe bend that appeared to be more condusive to photo taking. The problem was that it is hidden from view if you're on the trail side of the river.

0.6 miles of cross country travel alongside a river- how hard could it be? :scratch:

*Ahem*...

I tried using snowshoes for most of the trip out but found them useless due to all the climbing up, down, and around all of the downed timber. Certainly A LOT more taxng than I had anticipated but I managed to arrive at my destination, postholing the rest of the way. Here are two views. I prefer the perspective of #1 but too many distractive components (couldn't do much about that).

Perspective #1:

448126806_THSBJ-XL.jpg

Perspective #2:

448126787_yRkNu-XL.jpg

Just a bit downstream of my destination, there was this interesting bit of natural art- a teeter-totter! Pretty neat..

448125257_TgZzd-L.jpg

Cool shots!! I like the higher angle of the first over the second. The balancing log is something to see, awesome

They look really nice :) Could you possibly share your settings on the third shot please?

Thanks alot. I shoot using a Pentax K10d and these were taken with the standard 18-55 kit lens in RAW mode. Due to the snow and the desire for soft water flow, these were also shot using a circular polarizer.

The specs on the third shot:

ISO 100 (my standard)
F16
0.5s
18mm
no EV Compensation

Generally I do minimal post-processing and this one is no exception. The WB was set for Cloudy but while evaluating the RAW, I decided to switch it to Shade. The curve's low end was bumped up very slightly for some additional brightness.

Anything else, just ask. :wink:

Love the compositions of the bend in the water entering and exiting the shot, well executed. 2 would be my favourite.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back