Some shots from my recent shoot

Vtec44

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
www.jamestangphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Shot in both digital and film but these are quick digital edits (85mm)

_D758007.JPG

_D758030.JPG

_D758041.JPG

_D758063.JPG

_D758076.JPG

_D758118.JPG

_D758129.JPG

Last edited:
All are great but the first. The tree is just too busy for me.

All are great but the first. The tree is just too busy for me.

Thanks!!

That's actually my favorite because it was a challenge to make something out of such a busy background :)

Last edited:
I actually like the first one the most. I think maybe a slightly shallower dof would be nice, but I do like the tree being somewhat in focus here. Its shape lends itself to filling the frame.

I actually like the first one the most. I think maybe a slightly shallower dof would be nice, but I do like the tree being somewhat in focus here. Its shape lends itself to filling the frame.

Totally agree that a bit shallower DOF would be nice. But my darn 85mm could only go as wide as 1.4 and it was shot at 1.4... :D

It's personal taste but I'm with Rick50. I prefer the wide open spaces of the other shots. :)

As always you present such beautiful shots. I'm curious if you will crop tighter on the finished prints, as in the last one. May just be personal taste but I prefer it over the others.

As always you present such beautiful shots. I'm curious if you will crop tighter on the finished prints, as in the last one. May just be personal taste but I prefer it over the others.

Thanks. I generally leave more head space and leading space in my medium range shots. So these medium range shots will stay as is. I even give a bit more room for canvas prints because of the wrapped borders. I learned it the hard way about the canvas wrapping a while back and had to fake extra space around a few photos.

Thanks. I generally leave more head space and leading space in my medium range shots. So these medium range shots will stay as is. I even give a bit more room for canvas prints because of the wrapped borders. I learned it the hard way about the canvas wrapping a while back and had to fake extra space around a few photos.

Good point, I've had a few that I had to "stretch" a tad. Easier to allow for it than correct it later. I was mainly referring to the sky at the top in the 2,3 & 5 and maybe 6. Lot of white space at the top, yet very little foreground at the bottom in comparison. Interested in your reasoning for placing her so close to the bottom of the frame. Sorry, I question only to learn.

Also on the tree, some of the branches at the top might be considered busy I guess, but cropping some off the top, to leave that large one that curves over her creating a frame would be outstanding.

Good point, I've had a few that I had to "stretch" a tad. Easier to allow for it than correct it later. I was mainly referring to the sky at the top in the 2,3 & 5 and maybe 6. Lot of white space at the top, yet very little foreground at the bottom in comparison. Interested in your reasoning for placing her so close to the bottom of the frame. Sorry, I question only to learn.

Also on the tree, some of the branches at the top might be considered busy I guess, but cropping some off the top, to leave that large one that curves over her creating a frame would be outstanding.

Oh. That probably came from my landscape background as we always struggle to decide if it's better with more sky or more ground. The rule is that you show what's more interesting. However, I also operate on the concept of order and chaos,light and dark, and pattern. If there's chaos in your composition, order will catch people's attention. If there are a lot of dark areas in your framing, light will be the focal point. If there's pattern, the area that you break the pttern will be more visible.

Since lighting was flat in those shots, the sky was my pattern her and the ground was meant to break that pattern. Too much ground and she would blend in and won't stand out as much. I leave a lot more negative space to create the vast open space feeling in relation to how small she is in this place. With men, I tend to frame a bit tighter to make them appear larger. I hope that helps a bit.

Totally agree that a bit shallower DOF would be nice. But my darn 85mm could only go as wide as 1.4 and it was shot at 1.4... :D

I probably woulda shot at 200mm at 2.8.

Most of my fellow photographer friends love that lens for portrait work. I have to be different and I rarely use it. I'd like to be able do direct my subjects without screaming on top of my lungs! LOL In all seriousness, it's an awesome some lens but for my framing and composition it's would be a pain to be so far away. Now if I own a 200mm f2 then that's a whole different story. :D

Most of my fellow photographer friends love that lens for portrait work. I have to be different and I rarely use it. I'd like to be able do direct my subjects without screaming on top of my lungs! LOL In all seriousness, it's an awesome some lens but for my framing and composition it's would be a pain to be so far away. Now if I own a 200mm f2 then that's a whole different story. :D

Yeah, I know.. You're one of those hipsters who has to be different xD

But it is harder to pose people from 200mm.

#4 takes my breath away. Gorgeous.

Most reactions

Back