Some Skiing pics, cause the mountain opens tomorrow.

pmcbrier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
IMG_3410.jpg

20080120_Dylan_at_the_bird_1_21_2008_0351.jpg

Canyons_and_Gray_s_party_1_14_05_001.jpg

That visor shot blew me away!

Your lens covers a good zoom range. I think you just need to risk your life a bit more and get into really good spots for action photos. I've done a series in a skateboarding park and realize quickly that I needed to get myself into uncomfortable spots to get good shots.

How is it taking the camera up the lift and such? What do you do? Backpack? Camera Bag?

Im going to whistler this winter and I really want to take some shots on the mountains. Im just scared i'll damage it.

Those were all taken with my old Canon S5is. It came with a small black bag from where ever my fiancee bought it from, and I jury rigged it to sit in front of me so I could get it out quickly. It worked pretty well, I ate it many times with the camera, and also gotten a fair amount of snow on it, as I like to go out when it is dumping, but it has worked fine. I got a 40d this summer, so I am trying to figure out how I will carry this one around with me.
I do realize I need to get into some more creative spots to take shots of my buddies going off cliffs, but, it's tough when I want to go off the cliff as well. So since I started carrying my S5 with me, my Modus operandi has been to convince the others to let me go first, then shoot from down where I end up. To get some good shots, I am going to have to sacrifice my turn to get into some better positions.

I have an old Sony V1 myself and I take that to places where I can't really bring my full equipment. I do have a wide angle lens attachment and I recommend getting one for your S5(not sure if it's available for it).

For me, I am not too kind to my equipment. However, my old F501 and AIS series lens has been pretty damn robust. Paint wear here and there, not a problem to me. I bought them to use them. I know a lot of people plan to trade their equipment for upgrades so they baby them. I just want to get some good shots.

Oh I'm takin the 40d out skiing for sure. One of the main reasons I got it was the speed. The S5 has shutter lag, and has an lcd viewfinder that makes it difficult to track skiers. I can't tell you how many shots I have missed due to the slow camera. The 40d should help in that regard. Can't wait for the snow to fill in and get some real shots! Oh, and it will be good to ski some fresh pow.

As others have said, you must be in the action to get the great ones, although I do like #1 & #2. I went to shoot a rodeo, first time was from the stands, and the shots were o.k. at best, second time I was on the ground, in harms way, and got betters shots with one of them that would make the magazines :mrgreen: So all I can say is try to be as careful as you can, but get right in there.

Awesome shots. I'll be heading to Tahoe early January and I hope to get soime decent shots. I'm a major n00b shooitng with a d90 and I'm hoping that it'll be fast enough to be able to get some decent shots. Any lense recommendations?

How is it taking the camera up the lift and such? What do you do? Backpack? Camera Bag?

Im going to whistler this winter and I really want to take some shots on the mountains. Im just scared i'll damage it.

Last year, I went mountain climbing in Colorado (Longs Peak) and I had the camera inside the camera bag which was in my my backpack. I still worried about getting it damaged.

Last year, I went mountain climbing in Colorado (Longs Peak) and I had the camera inside the camera bag which was in my my backpack. I still worried about getting it damaged.

I was worried when I brung mine up too, barley got any shots though :(

Most reactions

Back