Some studio photo's...problems...

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by Naturallyred, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Naturallyred

Naturallyred TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello! I'm a semi professional photographer here in Colorado. I say semi because I still don't know COMPLETELY everything there is to know about photography BUT I do charge for my services. I'm still trying to get some things straight so I thought I would come here since everyone is so helpful.
    These photo's you are about to see are not processed. I am trying to avoid spending so much time in front of the computer fixing my mess up's in photoshop. It's not fun and it's making me fat.

I use a canon XTI and a canon 350d. My main problem right now is most of my photo's I do it the studio turn out really red or orange. I mainly user a black or white backdrop and they look so terrible....you can't even tell I'm using a white backdrop in the 1st one.

[​IMG]
    1/40 sec @ f 5.0
    ISO 200

[​IMG]
    1/100 sec @ f 5.0
    ISO 400

[​IMG]
    1/60 sec @ f 5.6
    ISO 400

I use 2 600 watt light's with soft boxes and one ghetto made at home hair/back light that's about 75 watts.

If there is anymore info you need to know let me know. I tried to include all the info you need to be able to tell me what I am doing wrong. Any other pointers are greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!!

2. Artograph

Artograph TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am soooo not an expert, but I'm wondering if the white backdrop is picking up a "red/orange" reflection from the carpet???

3. Naturallyred

Naturallyred TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hmmm...that may be.

Anyone else care to take a stab at it?

Maybe I need to adjust my monitor too. ??

4. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Are you using continuous lighting? What are you doing to white balance your camera? Have you considered shooting raw and color balancing an entire shoot with 1 click?

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are a few issues here.

You are getting a color cast, probably from the light you are using and not having the WB set correctly. I'm with Matt, you should be shooting in RAW mode...because then you can very easily set the WB at the computer.

In the first shot, you background is not white because of the color cast...but also because it's under exposed. If you want your background to appear white...you need it to be brighter than your subject...which means you need to put more light onto it. If your black backgrounds are not black...then you need to put less light onto it (Tip: move it farther away from the subject).

I like the light you have in the 3rd one...but it looks like it may have a bit of camera shake or subject movement...it's not very sharp.

The backgrounds can usually be fixed in Photoshop...but it does take time to do it well. It's probably easier to do it right in the studio.

I suggest getting some books on studio lighting and or taking a class. You have some good images here, with plenty of potential...studio lighting is both an art and a science...which means that you can learn and practice and you should be able to improve.

6. Naturallyred

Naturallyred TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    YEs, I am using continuous lighting. I have 2 strobes but I didn't think they could fire with out my flash being used on my camera. Is there a way to fire them other then using my built in flash or a flash with a diffuser on it??

I do actually shoot in RAW and my white balance was set to tungesten for these shoot's. Is that wrong for studio light or is it different depending on what kind/how many watt's of light I use? I use a white backdrop and a pure black non see through backdrop I got from an online backdrop store. I don't have a lot of room to work withabout (15x12ft) and the ceiling is only 8 ft high.

I will definitly try lighting up the backdrop more then the subject. I will also get some lighting books right away! I would take a class but it's not offered anywhere in town. I know it's easy to fix all of this in PS but it's get's tedious and takes up more time then I'd like. So what i sthis I just read about being able to color correct in PS in ONE CLICK. ????? how? that's amazing!

Shall I post the processed photo's?? Would anyone like to see those and critique me on those???

7. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    When you are setting up a shoot, have the model hold up a white card for the first shot. Then when you have all the shots on the computer, use that shot and click on the white card to set your white balance/color temp. You should be able to apply that white balance to a group of images (all the shots from that shoot, with the same lighting).

You don't really need the white card...you can adjust the setting to taste....but most RAW software will allow you to copy the settings from one file to a group.

8. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You didn't tell us your light set up. When you say "studio", are you using real studio lighting?
    Yes, you have a very red cast, but it can't all be from that carpet.

9. Naturallyred

Naturallyred TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The light set up I have is real studio lighting. The brand is Britek. The only thing that is not real is the light I use for the back/hair light. I got it from walmart in the construction area. I'm not going to use it anymore because I think it may be part of my problem.

Is there a way to make strobes go off other than flash triggering them?

10. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Normally you would plug a cord into your camera (PC connection) and into the strobe. When that one fires, the rest should be triggered. If your camera doesn't have a PC port, but has a hot-shoe...you can get a 'hot shoe to PC' adapter.

Note: if you intend to mix strobe and constant lights...you will probably run into more color cast problems...but it won't be easy to fix because you would have at least two different light temps...so there would be no 'correct' WB setting.

11. elsaspet

elsaspet TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Ok, knowing that you have real lighting,

You have a low ceiling. And the red carpet. Your lights seem hot, and your camera seems to be set to auto.
    Am I right?

What you need to do is open a window, shoot at auto, plus your lights. You aren't close enough with your lights and you aren't metering. The not metering is the biggest problem.
    Feel free to contact me offline if you want to see if we can't fix this, but honestly, the whole group can benefit from this.
    Hugs,
    Cindy

12. Naturallyred

Naturallyred TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Big mike- I was actually going to try to do the constant light with the strobe but since you told me it will mess it up more I wont attempt it. I'll pick one or the other. Thans for the info!!

Elsaspet- everything is correct except for the red carpet and the everything set to auto....the carpet is removeable...I only use it for certain shoots. I guess I wont be using it when I have a white backdrop anymore. I shoot in RAW-M mode the only thing set to auto is the WB. I don't have a light meter and really really don't want to have to start using one unless I absolutely have to. I'm open for fixing this on here...I know I am no pro... :)