Some Stuff I'm Working On

oriecat

work in progress
Reaction score
Website
www.moltenwords.net
Here ya go, Mandababe!

These are some pictures I have been working on lately, when not working on the movie behind the scenes stuff I already posted. None of these are to final print at this time. Any and all comments appreciated!

I'm posting links because I think I made them kinda big and don't want to throw the thread size off...

http://home.comcast.net/~mindy414/pics/Untitled-1.jpg
Ilford HP5 400, printed on Paterson VC Pearl RC, 3 1/2 or 4 filter (can't recall, wasn't keeping notes at the time...) I'm not sure where my dissatisfaction with this one lies. I've been looking at it occasionally for 2 months, and I still can't pin it down. I think it's too contrasty sometimes, but then I look at my print of the original unfiltered and I definitely prefer this. I also look at another crop I have, and again I definitely prefer this. I really like it but something doesn't feel right yet...

http://home.comcast.net/~mindy414/pics/Untitled-2.jpg
Kodak TMAX 400, size 620, printed on Ilford MGIV RC Pearl... This is a pic that I took on my first ever roll of medium format, which was also the first time I ever used the Kodak Duaflex III I got from my great grandmother. (See previous post about that for more info.) So the whole thing was an experiment, not knowing how the camera would even work. I didn't get a lot of good shots on that roll, it was also weird for me using such a wide angle, which I have never used, and also just composing when everything is backwards!) But I do like this one, even though it isn't a great picture, there is just something about it that appeals to me. Though I would be much happier if the hydrant was in focus. I actually went back today to try and recreate this shot using my Holga. We'll see how that experiment goes once I develop that roll...

http://home.comcast.net/~mindy414/pics/Untitled-3.jpg
Ilford HP5 400, printed on Ilford MGIV Pearl RC... I've been working on this one a lot lately. I'm having trouble figuring out how to deal with the top, because there is a faint hill and some faint clouds... they look too faint, but if I try to burn them in more, they are really grainy, which doesn't fit with the rest of the pic. So I've been trying to dodge them out, but I don't know if I like that either... I definitely like the sanded out carrier look with this one, but that carrier is tooo sanded out because I'm getting megasprockets. I need to see if there is a better one available.

http://home.comcast.net/~mindy414/pics/Untitled-4.jpg
Ilford Delta 3200, printed on Ilford MGRC Cooltone Pearl... This was my first roll of 3200 speed film. I took a lot of night shots, just guessing at the exposures. This wasn't one of those tho. This scan is not good at all, because it looks like the glass of the scanner was really smudgy and you can see it in the dark areas, especially in the lower left corner. I am not happy about that.

Wow, #4 is also super pixely now in the dark areas. :? I'll see if I can get a better one... how does that happen? It didn't look like that when I saved it.

Edit - all better now.

min!
why have u not shown me how good u are before this????
i love the ivy one..the textures underneath are really interesting. i assume u made that effect of the log(is that what it is?)yourself in the developing?

i think the 3rd one is supreme. just gorgeous, i love it love it. your eye is trained and far more technical than mine so I dont see what the problem u have with it is. u mind if i save it to look at some more?

thanks for sharing gorgeous! fire hydrants are so cool. we dont have them here.

my favorites are the first and last one ... but i like the style of them all ... very dramatic

I really like the last one and the one of the coast. Are all these in Oregon? You have a beautiful eye! :)

Thanks for all your comments, everyone. :)

manda said:
min!
why have u not shown me how good u are before this????

Well I just don't see myself that way, ya know? We've talked before about lack of self confidence n stuff, and for me, it's even worse when it comes to my art. I always think nobody will like something when I like it, just proving that I don't know what's good or what I'm doing... that would be the main reason that I didn't go to art school, which I seriously thought about when I was a senior in high. When it came down to applying and sending in a portfolio, all of the "I'm not good enough" bugs got the best of me...

manda said:
i love the ivy one..the textures underneath are really interesting. i assume u made that effect of the log(is that what it is?)yourself in the developing?

Well the log was kind of old and dried out, like a big piece of driftwood, so that's just the natural look of it, but it is emphasized a bit due to the filter increasing the contrast.

manda said:
i think the 3rd one is supreme. just gorgeous, i love it love it. your eye is trained and far more technical than mine so I dont see what the problem u have with it is. u mind if i save it to look at some more?

of course I don't mind! I'll send you one of my work prints so you can see it for real.

manda said:
thanks for sharing gorgeous! fire hydrants are so cool. we dont have them here.

You don't? Where do you get the water from when you need it for a fire?

hyperjoga said:
I really like the last one and the one of the coast. Are all these in Oregon? You have a beautiful eye! :)

Thanks! :) Yes, they were all taken here in our beautiful state. First was taken around Otter Rock, down by Newport. Third taken same trip, at Yaquina Head Lighthouse, looking back towards Newport. Second and fourth both taken by my home on Hayden Island. Fourth is underside of Interstate Bridge.

u should be proud of ur work :) ... u have a very good eye and presentation ... very moving pieces ... i enjoy seeing your photographs .. very inspirational :D ... now why dont u have a website yet?

great work orie!!! nothing beats that ilford black and white!

md

#1 is just great. Great contrast between wood and ivy. Contrast in light, shape and direction of the lines. The same time time, it is the contrast between old, dying and new, growing. Great idea for this picture.

God I miss the Oregon coast. I've been telling my wife how beautiful it is and we need to get out and do the coast roadtrip.

As for the photos... Orie, I love your style. 3 and 4 are my favorites, but I think they are all wonderful.

Most reactions

Back