some times i like noise

I like grain but I don't like noise.

What can I say, I'm a film snob ;)

Aficionado. Just sounds better than snob. Film Aficianado. See?

Lol
don't encourage her. All those film people think they are better than us digital people. They have their own little click with secret decoder rings. why even those gone digital keep a film camera in the closet because they don't want to be excommunicated from the club.

I like grain but I don't like noise.

What can I say, I'm a film snob ;)

Lol
don't encourage her. All those film people think they are better than us digital people. They have their own little click with secret decoder rings. why even those gone digital keep a film camera in the closet because they don't want to be excommunicated from the club.

Don't forget our berets!

(Except we don't wear berets. Runnah likes to think we do, but we wear different hats. Won't tell you what kind, though. It's kind of like our password. If we see someone in a beret, we know that person's just a poseur or is trying to spy on us.)

Lol

Don't forget our berets!

(Except we don't wear berets. Runnah likes to think we do, but we wear different hats. Won't tell you what kind, though. It's kind of like our password. If we see someone in a beret, we know that person's just a poseur or is trying to spy on us.)
I just try to discourage you film people and your special treatment. For instance, I love some of your work but the most you have got out of me is a "like". It might go to your head.

I just try to discourage you film people and your special treatment. For instance, I love some of your work but the most you have got out of me is a "like". It might go to your head.

Well good, we need people like you. Otherwise, how would we be able to fit into our special hats? ;)

So back to the original question, though - does anyone have examples of "good" noise vs "bad" noise? Is there even such a distinction that can be generalized? Or is it just a picture-by-picture judgment call?

Lol

Don't forget our berets!

I don't blame you on the no berets thing - I mean my goodness, if you were to show up at a coffee house at some point it would be total pandemonium. No way to tell who the folks in your group were vrs say the trendy but unpublished novelist crowd, or the misunderstood iconoclastic poets, or the vast number of unemployed and under-employed non-conformists waxing rhapsodic about their solutions for curing the ills of all society while still maintaining residence in their parents basement.

So ya, can't really recommend the berets. Lol

So back to the original question, though - does anyone have examples of "good" noise vs "bad" noise? Is there even such a distinction that can be generalized? Or is it just a picture-by-picture judgment call?
picture by picture for me. Same with most. Depends on the direction and purpose for the photo. Guess you missed post #5 from twright and the music post? I posted one last night as well "not so great brook photo" or something. Understandable you missed all that. you were thinking about your film club....
This is all beneath you anyway as you don't shoot that nasty digital... :waiting::lmao:

I can give you a really bad example of noise if you like. point and shoot at 800 iso..
so there really isn't a set iso of limitation it depends on the camera you are using, in case new people are wondering. "what should my iso be?"
hell I dunno, what is the camera? I never shot with that. Got me. :mrgreen: The video posted above (largely true) is that iso 800 isn't high, but again. Depends on the camera and photo use. Too bad you couldn't generalize this kind of thing.

$DSCN0642_1592.JPG

I am still waiting for a more experienced pro to jump In to better explain iso use to me, I just know what I have for a tendency I cant explain it.

Last edited:
^^^ That's what I was thinking for bad noise. I'm always on the noise reduction and mighty crispy, because the 7D isn't the worst thing when it comes to noise.

I ordered my secret hat last October. Where is it? Good god they're slow about this. How am I supposed to connect with my fellow film people? The rotating Kodak beacon on my car isn't working.

I did see Twright's photo - I guess I didn't really consider that 'noisy.' I didn't see anything until I magnified to past 100%. Then I trotted over to see your brook photo and again, I didn't immediately think of it as 'noisy' until I magnified it.

The picture you posted above is pretty cool in an abstract way. Something about it reminds me of Steven Spielberg's "Duel" - which is weird because I didn't even see that movie! Just snippets. But here the noise does certainly dominate in a way that doesn't add to the scene. Here's where grain would work but noise wouldn't.

I did see Twright's photo - I guess I didn't really consider that 'noisy.' I didn't see anything until I magnified to past 100%. Then I trotted over to see your brook photo and again, I didn't immediately think of it as 'noisy' until I magnified it.

The picture you posted above is pretty cool in an abstract way. Something about it reminds me of Steven Spielberg's "Duel" - which is weird because I didn't even see that movie! Just snippets. But here the noise does certainly dominate in a way that doesn't add to the scene. Here's where grain would work but noise wouldn't.

Huh.. would that be the Spielberg movie where Richard Dreyfus meets a bunch of friendly Aliens? Or the one where the little kid meets a friendly Alien and takes him for a ride on his bike? Or maybe the one where the guy with the whip meets a bunch of ... hey, you know I'm starting to see a pattern here.. lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back