some vacation pics cc

fwellers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.fwellers.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Are any of these pics decent by your standards ? Any huge CC to help me out ?

Thanks.

Floyd

p909118080-3.jpg

p858334655-3.jpg

p630965839-3.jpg

p781421487-3.jpg

p708072348-3.jpg

I like them all especially the sunset pix.

Thanks !
They were all taken hand held from the back of a moving cruise ship. except the first one. that was handheld on land at Grand Turk.

really ? I didn't realize that. Thanks,
I usually make sure the light meter is centered out, and I usually ( but maybe forgot this time) check the histogram for a centered image ).

I just looked back through my pic info and I see that all of these were taken with the exposure set to -1/3. Could that be the main reason they are underexposed ?

Thanks,
floyd

i really like them! the sunset ones aren't my favorite, but i love the ones of the ocean!

They are not underexposed they are already clipping the highlights, i really like #2+3,# 1,2 could even be darker to make them more dramatic

Thank you all for the replies and the advice. Not sure I understand how you tell that the highlights are being clipped or exactly what that means in practical terms.
Also, how could I have made #1 and 2 darker ? I didn't use any flash, so you mean to just have used a faster shutter speed or a smaller aperture or a lower iso or adjust the exposure compensation so that I have less exposure ?

Thanks !

Thank you all for the replies and the advice. Not sure I understand how you tell that the highlights are being clipped or exactly what that means in practical terms.
Also, how could I have made #1 and 2 darker ? I didn't use any flash, so you mean to just have used a faster shutter speed or a smaller aperture or a lower iso or adjust the exposure compensation so that I have less exposure ?

Thanks !

well look at your exposure meter on your camera and have it set to a lower exposure. of course you cant do that post so you would have to edit it that way if you shoot raw its easy to do in photoshop. i would recomend buying the book understanding exposure and to be honest the last two are the only two i like on the first one seems snapshotty probably because of the plastic chair and the tree almost centered the second and third one the sun just hurts my eyes and takes away from all the other pics

well look at your exposure meter on your camera and have it set to a lower exposure. of course you cant do that post so you would have to edit it that way if you shoot raw its easy to do in photoshop. i would recomend buying the book understanding exposure and to be honest the last two are the only two i like on the first one seems snapshotty probably because of the plastic chair and the tree almost centered the second and third one the sun just hurts my eyes and takes away from all the other pics

Thank you !!
I really need to learn to post process better. I didn't even notice about that chair in the corner and how that takes away from the shot. I am learning to think more about the pic while composing it, but still not taking into account, everything that's in the viewfinder, and even during post I am obviously not.

I vote for the last 2 sunsets, the first two with the water look underexposed to me, though not sure how much more you could have exposed w/o blowing out the sun w/ the cloud. I would suggest offsetting the sun a little more in the last one though, a little further out to one side or the other. Just my personal preference. =P

A suggestion that I've implemented myself and works quite well for me, assuming time is not of the essence: before you press that button, take a minute and roll your eye around the viewfinder. No, not literally, but look at one corner of the framed shot, then work your way around until you're back at that corner. Did anything jump out at you to make you say "wow I didn't notice that was there"? That's what we're going to notice in the finished photo. Your eye will kind of gloss over the unimportant/non-pretty details when you're just looking at a scene. The camera, however, will capture everything there. That's how you end up with a chair taking all the attention :p

I like the dark look of 2 and 3. They are night time shots, after all.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back