Reaction score
Website
www.scientificillustration.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hoverflyhead1b.jpg

hoverflyheada.jpg

greenbottleb.jpg

And any idea why this thing http://www.scientificillustration.net/_temp/tick_02.jpg found on my sons head (some kind of tick about 1.5mm in length) didnt manage to get any blood after at least 24 hours undiscovered?

thanks for looking

tim

And any idea why this thing http://www.scientificillustration.net/_temp/tick_02.jpg found on my sons head (some kind of tick about 1.5mm in length) didnt manage to get any blood after at least 24 hours undiscovered?

That is a very intense series. The clarity is beyond anything I've ever seen. Wow.

Sorry to hear that about your son. Our kids had -sort-of- the same problem. Except it was their teachers that couldn't extract any good grades. I took a flashlight and looked inside their ear-hole and it was just as I feared- yep,... full of candy.

Thanks abraxas it is apreciated, these shots have relly begun to take a lot of time, in preparation and processing it is a good couple of hours each minimum, and i am not used to haveing to work that hard ;).

About the candy, now was that in the kids or the teachers ears? I know that our kids have something between their ears, but i have a terrible feeling it is the solution to where all the dark matter hides, a bit of a black hole, i am sure everything goes in, but thats it, then its lost, as nothing ever comes out again, as for the teachers, i know there is nothing but a vacume there ;).

tim

Spectacular! Care to share what you used for equipment and processing on these?

Sure love to NJMAN, First find the victim, unfortunatly it shouldnt move, so fast mooving insects are usually best dead or cold, but most beetles etc are ok just as they are, or with a bit of honey, it really hepls if they are alive so as they dont end up all crawled up in a ball. The lighting is halogen unfortunatly, it is about the only thing small enough and bright enough. These had 4 lights around them at various distances, and a half a ping pong ball over the subject as a diffuser with holes in to take the picture through and let non diffuse light in. The camera is mounted on a microscope, with a 2.5x reichert plan acro infinity corrected lense.Then it is only a case of focusing on the bit you want in focus at the rear, one in the middle and then again at the front, checking the exposure for all three. Working out what your DOF is from the lens (about a hairs width) and taking series of pictures at the right distance for each untill you have all of your subject in focus and stacking them togehter in a program called combinez, and a couple of hours later it is ready :)...

Thanks doenoe, it would be really nice to get the oppertunity to snap at a couple of birds, but there is just so little wildlife around here that insects it is, gaud knows what it will be now it is winter comming.

Hey TC, thanks mate, stacked of course, it is so much easier than going out in the cold and trying to keep the shakes down :).
tim

truly awesome

Sure love to NJMAN, First find the victim, unfortunatly it shouldnt move, so fast mooving insects are usually best dead or cold, but most beetles etc are ok just as they are, or with a bit of honey, it really hepls if they are alive so as they dont end up all crawled up in a ball. The lighting is halogen unfortunatly, it is about the only thing small enough and bright enough. These had 4 lights around them at various distances, and a half a ping pong ball over the subject as a diffuser with holes in to take the picture through and let non diffuse light in. The camera is mounted on a microscope, with a 2.5x reichert plan acro infinity corrected lense.Then it is only a case of focusing on the bit you want in focus at the rear, one in the middle and then again at the front, checking the exposure for all three. Working out what your DOF is from the lens (about a hairs width) and taking series of pictures at the right distance for each untill you have all of your subject in focus and stacking them togehter in a program called combinez, and a couple of hours later it is ready :)...

absolutely fascinating!

Most reactions

Back