Some Waterfalls Shots

iflynething

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot these while going south along the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina.

1)
DSC_7840.jpg

2)
DSC_7853.jpg

3)
DSC_7881.jpg

4)
DSC_7889.jpg

5)
DSC_7898.jpg

6)
DSC_7996.jpg

I'm not to too sure about number 6. I really am not that a big fan of the composition but the other ones i'm alright with. Is there anything that sticks out for anyone?

~Michael~

Last edited:
#3 is my favorite, not too crazy about #6 either

2, 3, and 4 seem hazy to me? i don't know what exactly it is, but the forth is the biggest noticeable one. The second i think is the best shot, the first has the water blown out in it and is very distracting from the whole shot.

Nice work!

#3 is my favorite, not too crazy about #6 either

Thanks for the comments. I believe I over saturated the trees. Where's that HDR camera when you need it?!

matt-l said:
2, 3, and 4 seem hazy to me? i don't know what exactly it is, but the forth is the biggest noticeable one. The second i think is the best shot, the first has the water blown out in it and is very distracting from the whole shot.

Nice work!

Thanks to you too, Matt. I was looking for some insight on these. While open in Capture RAW, I added fill light and I belive that's what made them hazy like it did. I don't like it. In #4, I was tyring to bring out the background and in #1, I added too much fill light and that really washed out the water. An original is much better and there are not blown highlights.

Thanks again for your comments.

~Michael~

Nothing against that bit of fill light (though it looks like you filled in a bit much), but then you would have needed to go work on the contrasts again, I think. The colours here are quite muted, so different from what you would expect fall shots to look like (not only waterfall shots, also fall as the season, autumn, you know). The sky was grey and the colours were not quite as vibrant as they would have been with the sun out, but just now it looks like you were even surrounded by fog ... and if you weren't then ... ? Photoshop? Levels? Contrasts? A bit of saturation?

I like #5 the best. The composition is excellent and it really draws me in. I'm not too fond of the composition on the others. I think the shots would have come out a bit better early in the a.m. or later in the day. Long exposures can get tricky with lots of light present.

Next time you are there, take the trail down to the bottom of linville falls. The capture opportunity there is excellent! :thumbup:

The shot of Linville Falls needed a different time of day to get it out of the shadows. Beautiful area around there. Thanks for bringing back some good memories to me.

Thanks Over Exposed. I appreciate those comments. It really sucked shooting this because Linville Falls was at the very bottom of my list. It's not very far from where I live so I could really shoot it anytime. Since it was at the end and I had some more time left in the day, I thought I would take a trip up there but it was wated to me. I have to agree that the lighting was horrible and those highlights and shadows. Even doing an HDR was hard.

I appreciate the comments though

~Michael~

Most reactions

New Topics

Back