Somebody talk sense into me....

Have you ever noticed that people who can afford a Canon 5D-II, like one Salty Cobbler, often tell beginners to keep shooting a beginner's camera???
How often has he done that, Darrel?

Wow I just visited your website as well and your photos are amazing. People and portraits is what I want to get into and I don't know how long before I get to your level.

I don't know what your situation is like because we all have different lives but the D700 would be a great investment. Sooner or later you will replace your D5000, why not make it sooner to adjust to FF and be comfortable with it? You already have some Lens to start off with, you can just get the body. If money is an big issue, you can sell your D5000 body for some money that will help toward the D700. Although keeping the D5000 would be nice as a back up and other type of occasion. Think of it's as an investment, the quality of your photos will be better with the D700, which allow you room to raise a little on your charge. As for you thinking of the new D700 replacement, if money is a concern, the D700 replacement will be even more expensive. We have no idea when it's coming out either. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks so much for the kind words =)

Lots to consider...I think I'll just be honest with the hubby on how I'm feeling about this and see what he has to say. In the mean time, there are always things to shoot- crop sensor or not =)

I do admittedly have issues with making rash decisions and rushing into things. Thus far, they've always turned out to be good decisions and things I was very serious/passionate about..but I do want to be careful.

:lmao: I'm like that too.
But everytime I just say screw it, and make a frivolous purchase/decision, karma bites me in the ass. I still haven't learned. :p

I'm still waiting for that bite.. I think when it comes it's gonna hurt!

You're right about the networking, too! I'm handing out buisiness cards like crazy and tagging people on facebook. But like I said..I just haven't found many who can afford custom photography right now. I'm not charging crazy prices either- just average. People can say they love my work and want pictures done, but then they only want to pay what they'd pay to have a 10 minute session at wal mart ><

If you get the D700, what are you planning to use for lenses?

Only the AF-S 50 mm f/1.4G you have listed, is an FX lens.

Derrel - Since it might make her current finances tight wouldn't you suggest for her to at least wait a few months for the possible d700 replacement? Not for her to buy the successor but to get a much better deal on a d700 or whatever she's looking to upgrade to. Especially during the christmass black days and whatnot.

If you get the D700, what are you planning to use for lenses?

Only the AF-S 50 mm f/1.4G you have listed, is an FX lens.

Right now as it is.. I rarely use anything but my 50mm...which is also part of the appeal of a FF.

I would probably just deal with the extra crop of my DX lenses in situations where I "had" to use them (which I try to avoid as it is anyway). It isn't that they can't be used on a D700, but I would have to either use the setting for a DX lens (which basically wastes a portion of the FF sensor as I understand it) or crop the pictures in post as they would have black around the areas that the lens didn't cover.

In the mean time, I do have a goal for lens upgrades: starting with the 105mm 2.8, the 85 1.4, the 135 2.0, and the 24-70 2.8. I am waiting on lenses until I've upgraded the camera, because they're all FX lenses as well.

Ok.. I need coping strategies, anybody want to help? LOL

I've been shooting with my D5000, (and it has been a BLAST to learn with!). And I'm working towards saving for the D700, primarily for the ISO capabilities and the full frame sensor. My goal is to save at least the majority of the cost on my own with my fledgling buisiness, but another part of me is just so eager to start learning with a more capable camera that I'm getting anxious!

I imagine I'm not the only one here who has felt antsy for new equipment ;) The thing is.... we *could* afford to invest in the camera now, although it would really be pushing our family finances more than I'm comfortable spending on myself and I just can't bring myself to ask my husband to agree. We've worked really hard the past few years to avoid extra expenses and be more responsible with our spending and saving
I've only read the opening statement, but the bold text quoted is reason enough to comment.

It is my personal opinion to never extend yourself (myself) financially beyond what it comfortable, within reason and can't be paid off in a 30 day billing cycle (for consumer goods).

The D700 is an awesome piece of equipment without a doubt. But stick to your longer term plans. In the interim, look at investing into lenses that will get you a foothold for the future. Never sacrifice for this hobby or even business if it negatively impacts your more pertinent financial obligations (food, housing, clothing, sex toys).

Patience is a virtue, but she is also one ornery *****. :D

I'll read the remainder of the posts now.

GL with your choice.

I will argue against it. You need better lenses. For starters, I don't think the 18-55 is going to even work on the D700, so you're talking another $1500 to buy the 24-70 f2.8 that I think you need. The 55-200 is a consumer level lens, and the D700 will highlight its numerous shortcomings and make you want the 70-200 f2.8-another $2000 for that.
Now if you are just shooting things you can shoot with the 50mm f1.4 you have, then go ahead and get the D700, but I think if you are using your zooms much, you will be much happier getting a decent zoom.

I will argue against it. You need better lenses. For starters, I don't think the 18-55 is going to even work on the D700, so you're talking another $1500 to buy the 24-70 f2.8 that I think you need. The 55-200 is a consumer level lens, and the D700 will highlight its numerous shortcomings and make you want the 70-200 f2.8-another $2000 for that.
Now if you are just shooting things you can shoot with the 50mm f1.4 you have, then go ahead and get the D700, but I think if you are using your zooms much, you will be much happier getting a decent zoom.

I would agree if I ever used those lenses.. But as it is I most often find myself just leaving them in the bag. The 50mm has been perfect for the things I love to shoot the most.

Just noticed somebody else who knows more about Nikon addressed the lens issue. I like your lens list of primes-I shoot zooms and primes, and admire those who just shoot with primes.
If you want to justify the camera as a business expense, then get some business cards, start networking like crazy, draw up a business plan, and treat it as a business expense, rather than a personal hobby expense.

Just noticed somebody else who knows more about Nikon addressed the lens issue. I like your lens list of primes-I shoot zooms and primes, and admire those who just shoot with primes.
If you want to justify the camera as a business expense, then get some business cards, start networking like crazy, draw up a business plan, and treat it as a business expense, rather than a personal hobby expense.

I do hand out business cards like crazy....but like I mentioned before, I'm having difficulty finding people who are willing to pay more for pictures than they would at walmart ><

I think I'd feel more comfortable considering it as a business expense if I was actually making a bit from the business to cover it, kwim?

So, what I've learned:

People on internet forums have different opinions!:lol:

Seriously though.. I'm going to talk more to my husband about it. And set a goal for myself before taking the plunge. I think at the very least I will wait to see how my first "real" paying gig goes at the beginning of october. It's the first time I've been asked to take pictures for the sole purpose of somebody being in love with my work and wanting to pay what I feel my work is worth. If at that point I still feel ready for the upgrade I think it will feel less rash, and rewarding. =)

I've been shooting with my D5000, (and it has been a BLAST to learn with!). And I'm working towards saving for the D700, primarily for the ISO capabilities and the full frame sensor. My goal is to save at least the majority of the cost on my own with my fledgling buisiness, but another part of me is just so eager to start learning with a more capable camera that I'm getting anxious!

I imagine I'm not the only one here who has felt antsy for new equipment ;) The thing is.... we *could* afford to invest in the camera now, although it would really be pushing our family finances more than I'm comfortable spending on myself and I just can't bring myself to ask my husband to agree. We've worked really hard the past few years to avoid extra expenses and be more responsible with our spending and saving.

Besides...I'm sure if I keep pushing I can find room to grow with the camera I have, though it is getting frustrating the more I learn...

So share your coping strategies! How do you make yourself listen to logic and wait (because the best things are worth waiting for, right? :lol:)

If it's a business you should be able to get a business loan...have you looked into that? Depreciation and all that...

I imagine I'm not the only one here who has felt antsy for new equipment ;) The thing is.... we *could* afford to invest in the camera now, although it would really be pushing our family finances more than I'm comfortable spending on myself and I just can't bring myself to ask my husband to agree. We've worked really hard the past few years to avoid extra expenses and be more responsible with our spending and saving.

Besides...I'm sure if I keep pushing I can find room to grow with the camera I have, though it is getting frustrating the more I learn...

So share your coping strategies! How do you make yourself listen to logic and wait (because the best things are worth waiting for, right? :lol:)

If it's a business you should be able to get a business loan...have you looked into that? Depreciation and all that...

I have been told to look into this by a couple people so far..but I'm really not comfortable taking a loan. The camera wouldn't be solely for buisiness use, either which is another consideration. My business is very part time and I only take on a very limited number of sessions per month. Most of my photography is centered on my own family.

Had a quick look at your website -
It is quite nice.
and I am assuming $125 is your "session" fee?
that is cheap what sort of tight people are you dealing with?
$125 sounds VERY reasonable to me.

the photographs looks really nice, I would suggest keeping your D5000 incase your Full frame doesn't pan out as well as you had hoped.

I also suggest buying it used / refurbished!
I just recently got a Canon 20D used that looked quite beat up, Got it and just brushed the dirt and grime off with a paint brush and some water! (on the paint brush...)
the only real "damage" on the camera is some minor scratches on the LCD that, if I am honest, do not bother me since it is too small to even review photographs correctly on, the only thing I use it for is the menu.
and a few blemishes on the grip (very minor.) and got it at a % of the price (most I had seen on ebay go for around £300 - £400, got mines for under £200.)
at the end of the day, as long as the sensor works and the mechanics work, then why not!
You could save a good bit of money if you buy used!
sometimes you can hardly tell!
Also! check in Pawn shops!
a female in my college class got a Nikon D60 for £200 from a pawn shop.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back