Somebody talk sense into me....

Its just your a newbie (in the nicest sense of the word.) not knowing much about cameras except "the d700 is considered the best pro camera."

and hoping to break into the business from nowhere, which likely isn't going to happen if I am honest.

IT COULD! but probably wont.

just set your sights a little lower, think, How much money you have,
what can you afford,
What do you NEED!
Your kit is perfectly capable of doing what you want right now I would guess.

I had the same mindset, but I decided to slow it down, learn more, get better, If I am offering a service, I want it to be the absolute best I can make it.

I do have a bit more knowledge about cameras than "The D700 is the best pro camera!" in all honestly ;) Sure I don't know everything, but I do have very specific situations and reasons that I feel a full frame would be to my advantage.

As far as my goals.. the buisiness takes a back seat to wanting to improve and provide the best pictures I can. I'm starting to feel limited by my current camera, but I *do* want to continue pushing it to its ability.

And sure, I know I am fairly new to all of this, but photography has become one of those unexpected passions I never knew how much I would fall in love with. I am very serious about it, and despite my "newbishness" I hope that my work shows at the very least my determination to grow.

And sure, I know I am fairly new to all of this, but photography has become one of those unexpected passions I never knew how much I would fall in love with. I am very serious about it, and despite my "newbishness" I hope that my work shows at the very least my determination to grow.

You've come a long way baby!

You know, from "this just screams harsh reverse vignette!"
:sexywink:

But, yeah, seriously.

You've come a long way baby!

You know, from "this just screams harsh reverse vignette!"
:sexywink:

But, yeah, seriously.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

*hides* That was ummm... my other personality ;)

re-read my post (Y)
I just posted the first one in a quick assumption that is clearly wrong, after looking at your website and reading through the post (which I should have done to begin with...) I have updated my post (Y)

re-read my post (Y)
I just posted the first one in a quick assumption that is clearly wrong, after looking at your website and reading through the post (which I should
have done to begin with...) I have updated my post (Y)

No worries.. I totally understand the reasons for your original post.
Thanks forthe update and advice about purchasing refurbished. I might look more into it, though so far I've only made my purchases through B&H because I know I can trust their products.

I find it ridiculous how anyone can actually complain about the ISO performance about a D5000, just because you could have something better.

I'm still blown away with the D90 after 5 five months of owning it (the D5000 has the same sensor and same high-ISO performance). Of course, I'm coming from using a D40 for almost two years. It did well to train me to use technique over technology.

I used to shoot fast-paced hardcore rock concerts with the D40 in available light with a manual focus lens (and no metering). These weren't big concerts with a gazillion watts of lighting; just little klatch shows with a total attendance of 50-100 or so. I often shot at 1/60th or 1/30th and rarely exceeded ISO 800, using timing and technique to get exactly the right moment. I actually feel guilty and lazy with the D90 because I can get such clean results at high ISOs. Now, I have to force myself to use good timing, use good technique, watch for expressions and keep the ISO lower get shutter speeds that both demonstrates and freezes motion in all the right places.

And to think, ISO 400 used to be pretty-widely accepted as the maximum for colour print film.

Now, get off my lawn! :eek:ldman:

I understand. My rule is never borrow money. Never.
This man talks sense.

Right now as it is.. I rarely use anything but my 50mm...which is also part of the appeal of a FF.
Ah-ha... if you want what looks like 50mm on crop frame, you'll need a 75mm lens for full frame if that's the field of view to which you've become accustomed (not that a 75mm prime exists; the closest is 85mm).

Last edited:
Another vote for buying the full frame body if you can afford it. I wouldn't recommend going into debt you can't afford or straining the bank account to do it, but if you can pull off the upgrade comfortably you won't regret it.

Also keep in mind that the D700 is nearing the end of its life cycle. A new body will likely roll off the assembly line in the not to distant future.

If you don't need the latest and greatest gadget, waiting a few months for the successors announcement could save you some money when buying a D700. Once an announcement is made, people start dumping last years model in anticipation for the new model which drives prices down.

This might influence your decision, it may not. I just thought I would toss that out there.

Do you plan on buying new, used or refurbished?

That's another thing I've been keeping an eye out for.. But I've been told that less than two months after the D700 was originally release, people were already "anticipating the introduction" of its upgrade "any time soon" :sexywink:

Oh, and don't worry. I would NOT be considering this even halfway seriously if it was going to straing our finances too much or we had to go into debt. But we really have been working to save and I don't like the idea of setting us back for something that *I* need/want.
I would probably purchase new from B&H, I've had great experiences purchasing through them so far. I might consider used as well if I could find a good deal, but I don't want to take the body in for shutter repair too soon if it's seen a lot of use already.

Err...wait what? If you're trying to not spend a ton of money you should definitely *not* be considering New equipment.

For reference: The D700 (like most professional-grade camera bodies) is rated for 150,000 actuations. Even used most of the D700s won't have more than 20,000 actuations at most. It's only 2 years old.

Truth be told you could buy a camera with 50k actuations and use it for the next 10 years...and possibly get close to that 150k mark. That's a *LOT* of pictures and usually the shutters are made to withstands *FAR* more shots (the rated number is usually generated based on how many it could *actually* perform, and then subtracted quite a bit for "standard use" things like the body getting mistreated and such).

Heck, I've seen Canon 1D Mark Is with close to 500k actuations (it's rated for 300k). I've also seen 10Ds at 150k (they're rated for like 30k or 50k).

Basically, if you're going to buy now (ill-advised with new bodies on the horizon), buy used.

Nikon's "pro" cameras have been introduced on a 4-year schedule; the best time to buy a new Nikon professional body is the month it comes out; not late in the life cycle, but as soon as it is introduced. As DerekSalem indicated, a used camera can have a lot of actuations left in it. Photokina 2010 is in about four weeks, and a new body might well be introduced at that time. Buying a used higher-end Nikon can be a pretty affordable purchase from the right vendor.

You do not need high-tech or expensive lenses on a FF Nikon; you can use modest lenses that will do quite well, and lenses are typically best purchased used, from dealers in markets that are not in Los Angeles or New York. The 18-55 is a kit zoom, but there are quite a few 28-70 AF-S Nikkors, as well as lighter, and less-costly lenses like the 28-85 f/2.8~4 Nikkor that are quite good, and available for $500 used. If I were buying a lens for family portraiture, I would NOT buy the new 24-70 AF-S G...just would NOT buy that lens...no way!

Re-read the blog article I referenced earlier. Consider that a brand new professional-grade camera could last 10 solid years...$200 to $250 per year in cost...$250--why that is only two sessions at your current $125 session fee. I blow that much a month on groceries, quite easily.

I have nothing really useful to say except max the credit cards because the world ends in 2012.:lol:

I would get better lenses first, the only difference you will notice with the D700 is better high ISO images, will the 55-200VR work on the D700 ?

Do you do anything with off camera lighting? Might be something to look into. Im in the same boat as you right now. I really want a d700 but for me it is just a want and not a need. Best of luck with trying to make a choice.

Considering your images and your rates, I would think this is not the time to go into debt (or strain your family budget) by buying a new camera, not matter how FF is better for portraiture.

If you are not selling your services, a different body is not going to magically bring in clients. You need to think about your marketing strategy and probably fix it to some degree.

Your website is fairly nice but was it designed to bring traffic to it? Nice looking websites are a dime a dozen. Those that are designed to maximize traffic are not and if no one sees your website, it is not selling you.

What other marketing do you do? It seems to me that it is probably where you want to invest right now. Rather than in a new body.

Do you shoot in Fort Wayne or is it too far? If you do, I see no reason to have problems finding clients unless your marketing is not what it should be.

For cheap marketing ideas, I've used and suggested "Guerilla Marketing" by Jay Conrad Levinson for years. I know he's got a website. You may want to check it out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back