someday and it won't be long.

I decided to pull this thread out of the closet, clean the cobwebs off it and have a say one more time. Who knows I might lose my ability to type any day now. So for what it is worth... which ain't much..

I took a visit to the black and white gallery. I was shocked to realize how hopelessly old fashioned I am. I am so lost in the world of photography these days that it is sad. I mean guys were talking about the converstion from digital color to black and white and the lost detail in the shadow area. My first thoguht that was why are you converting digital color to black and white. That's when it struck me that digital (usually I guess if not always) shoots in color.

Okay thats fine, then I realized that in my old brain that is just wrong. Then it came to me how many things are really different in the shooting of the images. How my film images look so different from my SIL digital images. No value judgement intended here just a statement of fact. They look different.

Then I wondered why there wasn't a gallery in this little film section of the forum. Somewhere for us old timers to display the silver image rather than the electron. Now before anyone jumps my butt, I know they let me post my antigue images here, and some of the other alternate processes show up almost daily and thats wonderful.

But why not a gallery for just modern film images. Anything from 35mm film to medium format film or even 4x5 film. As it is now you have to wade through a mass of digital images and probably not find a one. Im not suggesting they start one because I seldom shoot modern film cameras but it seems a shame that those who do are pretty much overlooked for display purposes. They are kind of a footnote.

Yes I know there is no reason not to put shots in the general theme galleries just would be nice to see film images in a place by themselves for me anyway, but that's just me. Could call it yesterday's technology if it would make the digi people feel better lol...

Let the firestorm begin....

No firestorm needed, Charlie. :) The B&W gallery is for B&W images, and it doesn't matter if people are more enamored of computer conversions or if they shoot in actual B&W film. I've seen plenty of both on that gallery.

The Alt forum is also a gallery of sorts (check the title) :mrgreen: for all things Alt. It's a dedicated film forum, with a little bit of hybrid stuff thrown in for good measure.

You can post your images wherever you'd like, wherever you think they fit best. I don't think we have a need for a "film only" gallery at this point - but I'd love to hear others weigh in, maybe I'm wrong. I'd need to hear from a lot more than our usual crowd to convince me, though. ;)

Im not saying that it doesnt take a lot of skills to shoot digital images it certainly does... It just takes different skills in some ways.

As for not doing it because I said so, I agree completely I don't shoot that much modern film stuff. I just have no interest at all in digital because it's not in my mind set. It was a purely personal observation.

Oh i expect to hear from some people who never shot film that its a waste of space since it is what it is....

I believe that, with this being a general photography forum, rather than a digital, analog, pinhole, alt-process, or poetry forum, that the focus is on image than medium or technique. And that technique takes precedence over medium. Image is what photography is all about, and technique is necessary to produce images.

I do wonder one thing. The Alt Process Gallery is the only gallery which is separated from the others. It is also the only technique forum which is combined with a gallery. I've often wondered about this; after all, it's not the Graphics Programs Techniques & Gallery, or the Darkroom Techniques & Gallery.

I'm not calling for change. I'm merely wondering why any technique, whether it be film, digital, pinhole, or calotype, is separated by process rather than content. After all, if I produce a portrait using cyanotype process, shouldn't it go in with the rest of the portraits?

Just my two dits.

Most reactions

Back