Someone else's dog

Hamburger!
I feel ya!
It all comes from the heart.

@ Hamburger; correct me if I'm wrong, but you sound a little offended? Personally I believe there's no need to feel offended.
I've read the comments/advices and most of them are quite helpful and honest. As you said yourself:
...they're so picture-sque, so I couldn't resist the challenge:
You post your photo's here to get some feed-back and opinions, in the end with the idea to improve your photography skills...? (That's at least why I'm here)
These opinions, suggestions etc. you get for free and you can do whatever you want to do with them.
So, don't feel offended. See if you want to do something with them and what you can do with them.

Then, you asked what I meant with context. When I take a picture, especially of dogs, I try to tell a bit of a story. What was happening, what was he doing, so add a little surroundings. Like this one:
05011bwum5.jpg

@ Hamburger; correct me if I'm wrong, but you sound a little offended?

I think I was, at the time. Especially at the schoolmasterly stance one of the "commentators" took in my view. This is not the C&C section, after all... :sexywink:

Then, you asked what I meant with context. When I take a picture, especially of dogs, I try to tell a bit of a story. What was happening, what was he doing, so add a little surroundings.
etc.

Now that's what I call helpful comment and sensible explanation. Not to mention the good example that went with it! That I can accept without a hint of offence! ;-)

Mind you, when I took the above photos that was not at all on my mind. I was just messing around, taking photos at that fire, trying to get the hang of my new camera and just generally taking snapshots. That dog just happened to be there and I was quite pleased with my snapshots so I felt like sharing them. Anyway, I'll keep in mind what you said about context should a similar situation ever happen again.

These comment and critique things need to be more clearly defined. I'm not sure we don't just need a lets share our shots or "look ma I'm a photographer" gallery where critique is banned totally.

Or maybe change the edit, not edit, option to include a third. I don't give a rat's rear what you think. I would use that last one myself now and then. Cause sometimes I really don't care what anyone else thinks, but I still want to share the image.

Ps im guilty of the school teacher attitude, cause I think I know more than anyone here sometimes. I know that sounds pretty awful, but hell everyone does now and then I expect, if the truth was told.

No offense intended to any of the parties involved here.

Hamburger:

Beautiful shots of a beautiful dog.

We have a Tri-color Border Collie with similar markings but a longer snout. Love dogs.

Hi mysteryscibe,

These comment and critique things need to be more clearly defined. I'm not sure we don't just need a lets share our shots or "look ma I'm a photographer" gallery where critique is banned totally.

Absolutely - or absolutely not - I'm not really getting my grammar straight here, I'm having an off day... I agree is what I want to say. But there is a critique section, after all, and in the "sharing" sections everyone always has a chance to invite criticism and suggestions - and then it's all down to a matter of tact, right?

Or maybe change the edit, not edit, option to include a third. I don't give a rat's rear what you think. I would use that last one myself now and then. Cause sometimes I really don't care what anyone else thinks, but I still want to share the image.

Tee-hee! Sounds familiar... ;-)

Ps im guilty of the school teacher attitude, cause I think I know more than anyone here sometimes. I know that sounds pretty awful, but hell everyone does now and then I expect, if the truth was told.

Actually, I wasn't referring to you at all! And truth be told, I mayself am VERY often guilty of a schoolmasterly stance in life - maybe that's because I am a teacher? :cool:

Well Hamburger, i'm a relative newby to photography, about 2 1/2 yrs. I fully understand your frustrations, but find in general, most info you get on the forums is very useful, I think some people can come across a little curt and patronising when giving advise, but in general its not meant in that way. Like you have said alot of photography is down to personal taste and I beleive you can have a technically poor picture that can be brilliant in other ways.
Onto your pics well i'm a dog lover and I adore 2 & 3, because I do see feeling in both the shots, the eyes have a lot of feeling in them & I love the sense of anticipation in no.2.
No.4 again is probably down to personal taste, I love what Traveller has done in removing the white space between the dogs ( i'm not clever enough to have thought of that :)) but I prefer the original composition without the crop, but atleast I have learnt something reading this post lol !!!:lol:

Deano

Most reactions

New Topics

Back