someone help please!!

jolene123

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i just bought my d7200 about a month ago. I wasn't really impressed on the sooc image but it seemed to be able to fixed in photoshop. But recently my pictures are not coming out sharp at all and they are very grainy even at a low iso!!

this one is sooc 50mm 1.8 f/1.8 1/400 iso 400
Dropbox - 014.JPG

this one also sooc same settings as above

Dropbox - 017 2 .JPG

this one has a blue aura around the boys right shoulder.. this is happening to a lot of my pictures..
Dropbox - 043.JPG

this one was edited but as you magnify the clarity gets worse and worse!!!
50 mm 1.8 f1.8 1/800 iso 400
Dropbox - 033.JPG

You're shooting these with the lens wide open at f/1.8. Focus has to be precise as you probably have about 12 to 15 inches of DOF, and the lens performance won't be at it's best. In the photo of the two young girls the younger one is standing in front of the older one and sharp focus appears to be toward the back of the older girl's head -- there's all your DOF right there. The blue aura around the boy's shoulder is bad CA and the other photos exhibit CA as well which typically get's worse with the lens wide open.

Noise in the photos looks normal for ISO 400.

Joe

I checked the first one, but was unable to see the point of focus. Just looking it over, you may have focused on a shirt, but I'm not sure.

Just starting to plug some numbers into figuring your DOF, just guessing you were about 8 feet from your subjects, I see that the DOF is 0.52ft. which is pretty thin.

Is there anything on the front of the lens?

Agree with Joe. I would shoot these in Aperture priority at around F4.5. Or in 'P' mode (not sure what its called in Nikon terms). Th CA (the blue fringe) could be easily corrected with software such as Lightroom.

At ISO 400, you shouldn't be seeing much grain/noise at all. Are you bumping up the shadows, blacks, or exposure on your computer? If so, that's where the noise is coming from. If you increase your exposure by 1 stop in the computer using exposure compensation, and you shot at ISO 400 originally, you might end up with noise that looks like ISO 1600 or ISO 3200. If you shot at ISO 800 in the first place (to get the correct exposure), you would end up with noise that looks like ISO 800. It's definitely not always possible to nail your exposure. In manual, there's user error. In aperture priority, program mode, shutter priority (any of those), the metering isn't always going to be right on.

If your subject is dark, and the rest is not, you will often see less sharpness when you bump up the shadows or exposure of your subject.

It looks like the focus could have been missed ever-so-slightly as well.

I'm not sure how you got so much of that blue aura (chromatic aberration). Which 50mm lens are you shooting with? D? G? Older? Something different?

If you're not impressed with what comes out of the camera maybe it's exposure (and as mentioned having the lens wide open isn't the best option). Seems like maybe you need to figure out how to adjust the camera to make sure you're getting better quality images and getting the hang of focusing. In a couple of these the leg looked sharper than the face so I think the focus may not be where it needs to be. Takes practice.

I used to have a breathing problem :p . What happens is you half way press. Then you wait a smig longer, breath/exhale and take the shot. You breathing can move you off. And at 1.8 you have to learn to click fast and be dialed in at af. Even at 2.8 you can be thrown off at times.

Another thing that could be going on is calibrating.

Lastly put up the pictures of the non edits. I find it wild you are complaining of noise at 400 iso.

I checked the first one, but was unable to see the point of focus. Just looking it over, you may have focused on a shirt, but I'm not sure.

Just starting to plug some numbers into figuring your DOF, just guessing you were about 8 feet from your subjects, I see that the DOF is 0.52ft. which is pretty thin.

Is there anything on the front of the lens?
no I do not have anything on lens

At ISO 400, you shouldn't be seeing much grain/noise at all. Are you bumping up the shadows, blacks, or exposure on your computer? If so, that's where the noise is coming from. If you increase your exposure by 1 stop in the computer using exposure compensation, and you shot at ISO 400 originally, you might end up with noise that looks like ISO 1600 or ISO 3200. If you shot at ISO 800 in the first place (to get the correct exposure), you would end up with noise that looks like ISO 800. It's definitely not always possible to nail your exposure. In manual, there's user error. In aperture priority, program mode, shutter priority (any of those), the metering isn't always going to be right on.

If your subject is dark, and the rest is not, you will often see less sharpness when you bump up the shadows or exposure of your subject.

It looks like the focus could have been missed ever-so-slightly as well.

I'm not sure how you got so much of that blue aura (chromatic aberration). Which 50mm lens are you shooting with? D? G? Older? Something different?
im not sure if its a d or g I used it with my old Nikon d40 so im guessing its old lol

If you're not impressed with what comes out of the camera maybe it's exposure (and as mentioned having the lens wide open isn't the best option). Seems like maybe you need to figure out how to adjust the camera to make sure you're getting better quality images and getting the hang of focusing. In a couple of these the leg looked sharper than the face so I think the focus may not be where it needs to be. Takes practice.
thank you for the tips.. I am used to manual focusing because my 50 mm did not auto focus on my d40 I thought spot metering and choosing your focus points with single focus would focus on where I put the square.

You're shooting these with the lens wide open at f/1.8. Focus has to be precise as you probably have about 12 to 15 inches of DOF, and the lens performance won't be at it's best. In the photo of the two young girls the younger one is standing in front of the older one and sharp focus appears to be toward the back of the older girl's head -- there's all your DOF right there. The blue aura around the boy's shoulder is bad CA and the other photos exhibit CA as well which typically get's worse with the lens wide open.

Noise in the photos looks normal for ISO 400.

Joe
thank you for the tips.. I am used to manual focusing because my 50 mm did not auto focus on my d40 I thought spot metering and choosing your focus points with single focus would focus on where I put the square

Most reactions

New Topics

Back