Someone talk me out of it...

MLeeK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm buying an iPhone this afternoon. Here's the story: My husband has gone through 3 phones this year, a blackberry something or other, a Droid2Global and a cheap ass cosmos touch. Now he's wanting my DroidX2 because it's big enough for his fat fingers and that's a problem for him-that and I have been unable to destroy this phone. And believe me it should be destroyed. He doesn't want an iPhone or he'd take it for himself. Honestly, my droid will be more complicated than he wants to deal with, but he does like to browse the internet on it and it serves his purpose really well.

So, the deal is he'll buy me a 32G iPhone 4s that a friend wants $200 for. It's been in an otter box since day 1 and he's only owned it about a year. Excellent condition. Friend needs money, so he'd rather buy that one than find and buy something else that fits him. OK. I kinda like the iPhone. My son has a 3Gs and I use it on occasion and I have to admit I like it. But... I use it VERY little, so if there are reasons I'd hate it I wouldn't know.
SO... tell me why I won't like it after switching from my Droid? Because I am really happy with this phone overall. My only complaint is that I can't hear the darned thing ring nor can I feel it vibrate.

Talk me either into or out of it.

Great price, I've seen refurbs going for over $300 lately

Great price, I've seen refurbs going for over $300 lately
I know. My thought is even if we buy it and I just turn around and sell it I am not out. I told him to go ahead and buy. Then I'll decide if I really want it or not.

For a off contract phone you really can't beat that price of $200 for a 32gb iPhone 4s. I have owned both the iPhone and various android phones and personally I prefer my android phone because of the big screen and the ability to customize it. It really comes down to personal preference between the two operating systems.

Sounds good to me. I haven't ever used any other smart phone besides an iPhone but it's pretty awesome. (I have 16GB 4s).

The only downside is the whole Apple mothercorp thing and having to use itunes etc.

I love my 4s and my wife loves her 4. I have had various phones over the years, and this was my first smart phone. I don't really have much to compare it too, but the simplicity of the phone and the way that it just works is great.

SO... tell me why I won't like it after switching from my Droid?

I can't because you WILL like it. I'm not a fanboy but I went from an Iphone 3G to a Droid due to the carrier and then went back to the Iphone 4S. This is a platform you can really use with regards to apps and photography. You can put your releases on it and handle via email. You will hear the phone ring and vibrate. Just get it. Fall in love with it and wonder why you went so long without it.

iPhone is the way to go. I had Android based phones for a few years and have had many many many many many replacements due to software issues.....yes, software issues!!! I've never had a problem with my iPhone, my wife hasn't either.

So - talk you out of keeping the droid for yourself? I can do that :)

If you want something that works get the iPhone.

If you want something you can mess with and customize to your liking stay with android.

The next phone I buy will see me switching from droid to apple.

Oh, oh, oh, and don't forget the screen is on point for color! You can see what images actually look like when you browse TPF on your phone!

Would have nothing else now.Had the iphone 4 since it came out...Will be getting the iphone 5 in Feb when my update is due...The wife has gone form Samsung to iphone and love it to pieces...

Get that phone!!! If you like the 3Gs the 4s will blow your mind!

An iphone is not like your droid. Everything is centered around backing it up with a computer and it has quirks like that and can be less user friendly until you understand the logic behind the design. Why not just get another droid since you like it?

I can think of 6 from the top of my head...

1. It has screen problems -
2. The screen breaks easily - and costs a lot to fix
3. The battery sucks - and you cant change it either
4. The antenna sucks - just as an example, the iphone death grip. But also in general the antenna doesnt give you very good reception.
5. Apple’s multitasking sucks - Apple’s “fake multitasking” sucks for 2 reasons. For one, it’s not real multitasking because not all apps can take advantage of it. Sure you can argue that multitasking drains the battery, but that’s not the point here. Second reason why multitasking on the iPhone 4 sucks is because it quickly gets ugly in your app switching dock since Apple doesn’t kill apps until the OS deems it necessary. At any time you have between 10 and 20 apps in my app switcher, making it very busy.
6. And indeed the weirds of them all, given the name... iphone sucks as a phone. Good and great when it comes to apps. But as of means of communication, it sucks, sending messages is also difficult.

I've been using smartphones since before they were cool (he said with an ironic beret and a starbucks frappacrappychino in his hand).

All kidding aside, my first smartphone was when it was also one of the only PDA's with a color screen, one of the early Palm treo's. I've used Palm OS, blackberry, Windows CE, PocketPC, etc. etc. And even Android. Apple's got it figured out. It's a blend of a functional, business phone, and something that's fun and useable too. Can't beat the design either, it's not plastic. I dunno, gadget doesn't describe an iPhone... appliance does. It's built more like a good refrigerator than a cellphone (is that an odd description? lol). Actually that's what drew my to the iPhone. My first iPhone was the 4. I bought it simply because of the design and engineering (I'll admit it). I was really drawn into the idea of a heavier, well built cellphone. I wasn't attracted to the ultra-light, plasticy, lots of doors and hinges and removable parts idea. But once I started using the OS, I got hooked to it! You'll love it.

As a bonus, I read an article that named the iPhone 4S as one of the best point-and-shoot cameras on the market (not best cameraphones! Read that again).

As for the negatives, I'll just use Psytrox's list;

1) It has screen problems;

Well, he'll have to elaborate on that. An early crop had some 'yellowing' as a result of the adhesive used on the screen not curing properly (similar to an issue on the iMac). If that issue is present, just take it to the apple store they'll give you another one. Manufacturing defects DO happen.

2 The screen breaks easily

Sorta true, it is glass. The biggest issue is dropping it on the corner. A good case can remedy this, though I've dropped mine several times without breaking it. Check out some of the videos on youtube of just how much it actually takes to break an iPhone screen. The achilles heel though, is the corners. Dropped DIRECTLY on the corners, it creates a compression fracture across the screen. Cost a bit to fix that's for sure.

3- The battery sucks and you can't change it

Well, that hasn't been my experience. My wifes Android phone lasts about half as long as my iPhone. Compared to a 'feature phone', absolutely. Any smartphone is going to drain the battery. If you have a poor signal, or are using it constantly, you'll only get a few hours. But, this morning I left for a meeting at around 7 AM, got to the office around 9, made several phone calls, checked my facebook, stuff like that (This is my office phone too, I have an office line, but this is the number I give out. My office line rarely rings). Went out had dinner with my parents, ran around for a bit, and here I am ready for bed at 11:22 PM and my phone, about to go on the charger, sits at 19%. Now, that's not using it constantly all day, but it is using it. A couple dozen phone calls, pictures taken, checking the time, etc. The battery is pretty good. Your first couple weeks though, you'll be playing with it so much it won't last much :p. As far as replacement, the type of cells these phones use leads for much better battery life, but should it fail it can be replaced. Apple will do it for you pretty reasonably (about the cost of the battery really), or you can look up online how to do it. Just two screws. True, you can't swap batteries throughout the day, but few people REALLY do that.

4- Antenna

Most of that is fixed with the 4S, although I don't experience issues with my 4. I have to two-fisted death grip it in order to have significant loss, and that's just silly. True, there is some drop in internet speed sitting down vs holding it. Issue for you? Up to you, isn't for me. Most of my other smartphones had a spot you couldn't touch as well. My last one, a samsung, was down by the battery, most were towards the top. Only exception were the Treo's which used an external, exposed antenna.

5. Multitasking-

Kind of a non-issue anymore. It's not that certain apps CANT use multi-tasking, it's that the developer must choose to enable it and use it. Now, most apps use multi-tasking that need it. You know, playing music in the background, stuff like that. Also, multi-tasking has improved since it was first introduced in iOS 4.0.

6- Phone

I guess I don't understand this one. I do get some dropped calls, but it doesn't seem more than others. The one caveat, is the microphone is such that it can easily get dust and pocket lint in it which needs to be cleaned out, that's certainly a con. The messages part I don't understand, mine works just fine. The on screen keyboard does take some getting used to, but once you are used to it it's fine. I can type as fast as any physical cellphone keyboard I've ever had, if not faster. Certainly never had any issues with message reliability. Phone calls are clear, again, this is also my work phone, I'm on the phone ALL THE TIME. It works good as a phone, works good with my bluetooth (though I lost that a couple months ago, haven't gotten around to replacing it). And even my bluetooth headset in my motorcycle helmet! (Though I'm not an advocate of manipulating a phone while operating any vehicle, in this case the phone is usually in a saddlebag, but if it rings I can tap a button on the side of my helmet and answer. No different than using the CB radio or chatting with my wife with the intercom feature).

It's up to you, some love it, some hate it, but they have come a long way. Many of the 'cons' come from Android marketing stuff that is a little outdated. Go to the apple store and play with one, they might still have some 4S's out, see what you think of the interface, make a phone call, send a text message. You might like it, you might hate it. I hated them when they first came out, I thought they were a fad and plain silly, and they were, but they have improved over time and continue to improve.

Most reactions

Back