Just Corinna in real life
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
2-Jun-05_DaumenKaputt.jpg

My son :(

As I might have told before, he's switched from just swimming to triathlon as his sports.

He now has training in swimming, running and cycling. And we had to get him all sorts of equipment, such as a new racer bike (groan! expensive!), a mountain bike, running shoes, cyclist's clothes ... the wetsuit he wore for their first open water swimming last Sunday (so far), but he'll need one of those, too, eventually.

Well, last Tuesday night during cycling training, he fell over with his racer bike, in a bend, getting onto some sand, going at 35 km/h. He left quite a fair bit of skin of his right upper leg on the tarmac, though interestingly his trousers stayed unharmed
confused.gif
, and also his right thumb had this nasty, bleeding wound. So far so bad. But all that could be patched up with dressings his coach had on him in his first-aid box for such occasions.

We were worried about the large abrasion on his leg and feared it might get inflamed, so we went to our GP for him to take a look at it. They put on antiseptic ointment and renewed the dressing, same with the thumb, and then sent him to have an x-ray done of that right, fairly swollen thumb at the surgeon's. That was done yesterday. And when we were still on our way there, we were convinced he'd tell us: "Ah well, nothing broken, just a bruise, that will heal."

Not so
frown.gif

No bones are broken, but...
In falling, he tore off a ligament inside the thumb joint.
AND, so the surgeon explained to us, that ligament is not just ANY ligament, but THE ligament that helps the thumb move to the index finger, i.e. that very ligament that helps the hand grasp anything.
PLUS, he continued explaining, this very ligament is one of the few that don't grow back together all by themselves. This one needs to be sewn back on.

Which means: that poor sportsman, who was sooooo looking forward to the competition tomorrow, will have to run around like this for another week (first of all!), until the wound on the thumb has healed. THEN he'll get the surgery done on his thumb and afterwards will have to continue like this for ANOTHER five weeks.

He's already quite fed up with the situation!

And yes, you seem to be sooo right, Canoncan: "There goes the summer sports plan" :(

He can't even go fishing!

~~~poor boy~~~looks too painful~~~
he will be fine~~~don't worry! lafoto ~~ :hug::

Most reactions

Back