something i dont understand

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by klissarov ik, May 27, 2007.

1. klissarov ik

klissarov ik TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    so when im zooming through my lens, the further im zooming the bigger the F(for exemple f 4, f 5, etc..) gets and i cant put it under the number it shows but can above it... is this supposed to be normal or? i got my camera settings on Manual and my lens is a nikkor 18-200mm

2. motcon

motcon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    very normal for zoom lenses.

edit:

just tuck this away in your head: the larger the number of the f-stop, the smaller the aperture.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The F number represents a ratio between the size of the hole in the lens and the focal length. Each lens has a maximum size that the whole can get. With some zoom lenses...the hole can't get bigger but since the focal length is changing (when you zoom)...the ratio is changing...therefore the F number changes. However, it's only the maximum aperture that changes. For example, you lens might be F4-5.6 which means that the maximum at 18mm would be F4 and the maximum at 200mm would be F5.6. If you set the aperture F8, the F number would not change as you zoomed.

You can always set it to a higher number because that just means you are setting a smaller hole.

4. klissarov ik

klissarov ik TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    so let's sat when i'm zoomed in all the way to 200mm, i can't go under f 5.6
    so that's normal from what i understand? just to be sure there aren't any problem with the lens..

5. The_Traveler

The_Traveler Completely Counter-dependent Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    normal