something is wrong with my camera

ygb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I loaded a roll of film in my canon AE-1 to test it out. the film caught, I had advanced it to make sure its working, then closed the back and shot the roll. One thing I thought was odd is that the roll said it has 36 exposures, but the frame counter kept on going and going until it reached the maximum of 38.
when I tried to rewind the film, it moved very loosely and then got tighter and the exposure counter on the camera moved back by two, then the film got released.
I thought it was odd as it felt like it only went back 2 frames. Anyway, I took it to the walgreens and they processed it and said that the roll is empty. While I was waiting for the film to process I loaded a roll of black and white in. Again,I made sure that the roll caught and that it is advancing before closing the back of the camera. The exposure counter was supposed to stop at 24 but it went to 28 and keeps on going. I am assuming that I will have the same issue that I had with the first roll. It seems that the film is not advancing after the back is closed. Any ideas what is going on? I was thinking about opening the back and see what state the film is in. Probably will have to do it in the daylight so I can see things., but thought I'll ask you guys first before I waste the roll.
I hope what I am saying makes at least slightest sense.

thank you!

You're probably going to have to toast a roll of film to find out for sure, but... Do you see the rewind crank turn each time you operate the film advance lever? It could be that the advance mechanism is worn/stripped and once you've closed the back and taken the slack out of the roll, the mechanism doesn't have the strength to actually advance the film.

I dont have it with me, I'll take a look when I am home, I had never noticed the rewind crank turning. if thats the problem is it fixable? or do I need another camera?;-(

If you don't see the rewind crank turning when you advance the film (and you've taken up all the slack in the film cannister) then it means that either the film is not properly placed on the take-up spool, which seems unlikely given what you've said, or that there's a mechanical failure/excessive wear in the advance mechanism. This is certainly fixable, but you could probably buy a half-dozen mint-condition AE-1s or even AE-1 Programs off of eBay for the cost of having this repaired.

.. and said that the roll is empty.
Meaning that the canister was empty, or the roll contained no exposures?

It's not unusual for the frame counter to count more frames than the rated capacity of the roll. It depends on how cheap you are at loading the roll into the camera. Very cheap = more frames, but only one or two.

You don't have to open the back in the middle of a roll to ascertain if the film is moving.

Proper loading technique will work unless the camera is defective.

When you start a new roll, insert the leader well into the take-up spool, so that some film is bent over by the first layer.
Wind on at least one complete layer.
Make sure the film is lying flat against the film guides, and that the sprocket is engaged with the sprocket holes.
Watch carefully as you prepare to close the back so nothing gets displaced from where it is supposed to be.
After closing the back, gently wind the rewinder to that there is no slack in the roll.
Watch the rewinder as you advance the film using the advancing lever.
If the rewinder turns, then that means the film is unwinding from the canister and is being wound onto the take-up spool.
Snap off the first frame and advance the film again.
The counter should be indicating "0".
Shoot the roll, and you might get one extra frame, but don't count on the first or the last frames as being good complete frames.
When the counter reaches the stated capacity, stop and rewind into the canister, making sure that the leader leaves the take-up spool and is wound into the canister before opening the back.
Handle the exposed roll with care and get it processed without undue delay.

Ok, I am an idiot! I had to stop by at home and I had decided to see if the rewind crank is moving, well it wasn't because I couldn't advance the film anymore. And I can't remember if the frame counter was at 28 or 38. Anyway, originally I was planning on trying to rewinding and see how it worked before piping it up opened, but in the moment I forgot my plans and opened the back to see what state the film is in and of course it was all the way on the other side.
I am guessing the first time the sprocket wasn't engaged properly.
So the first question is : "is the whole roll burned now, or there is something deep inside that could be still usable?"
If it's burned I guess I'll just use it as my practice roll for prepping the film for processing when I will have to do it blind.
Duh.

If the whole roll was on the take-up spool, it's probably all going to be done. The stuff closest to the begining might be salvagable IF the back was only opened for a split second in dim light.

I dont have it with me, I'll take a look when I am home, I had never noticed the rewind crank turning. if thats the problem is it fixable? or do I need another camera?;-(
There is nothing to fix the film was not advancing, you did not load it properly

If the whole roll was on the take-up spool, it's probably all going to be done. The stuff closest to the begining might be salvagable IF the back was only opened for a split second in dim light.
ok, practice roll it is then.
I'll load another roll and will make sure the rewind crank is turning when I am advancing the film. hopefully third time's the charm.:) thank you!

This is difficult for me to understand because you are using terms that I recognize, but you are using them (i.e.: "sprocket") in a way that doesn't help me understand.

When I think of "sprocket" I am thinking of the sprocket that turns when you advance the film. It is very difficult, and probably impossible for the sprocket to NOT turn when the film is advanced.

Since you opened the back, you now have a "practice roll".

So practice with it.

This is difficult for me to understand because you are using terms that I recognize, but you are using them (i.e.: "sprocket") in a way that doesn't help me understand.

When I think of "sprocket" I am thinking of the sprocket that turns when you advance the film. It is very difficult, and probably impossible for the sprocket to NOT turn when the film is advanced.

Since you opened the back, you now have a "practice roll".

So practice with it.
I am sorry. I don't know the terms. I didn't know the word sprocket till you used it. Somehow during my 15 years in the country I never came across the word "sprocket" before, I am not even sure that at this point I remember how that would call in Russian:)
What I meant to say was: I think, when I had loaded the film for the first time the sprocket didn't engage correctly with the little holes in the film, so I am sure the sprocket was turning, but it doesn't mean the film was moving. That's just my guess at this point. When I loaded the film the second time, I did notice the sprocket and made sure it was actually coming through the holes in the film, that's why I was so surprise that the film was still advancing way past 24 exposures, considering I was so sure I did it correctly the second time. again, sorry for not being clear, hopefully I'll pick up some proper terminology here and it will make it easier for me to explain things.

Don't worry about terminology. We will figure it out.

One tip I learned a long time ago after going through what you are right now. Instead of pushing the film into the slot on the take up side I would take the film and slide it down from the top. Not only that but I would do it so that the second sprocket hole would catch on the tab. This ensures a good grab. If the film slips during winding then the extra sprocket hole will catch and you might have one frame up against another, but only one. Nothing to worry about though. If it ever slipped on me it while winding on to "1"

Now, when you do shoot a roll of 24 exposure, most times you will get 26 before the canister empties itself. 36 exposures will give you 38 most times. But it will stop there.

Don't worry about terminology. We will figure it out.

One tip I learned a long time ago after going through what you are right now. Instead of pushing the film into the slot on the take up side I would take the film and slide it down from the top. Not only that but I would do it so that the second sprocket hole would catch on the tab. This ensures a good grab. If the film slips during winding then the extra sprocket hole will catch and you might have one frame up against another, but only one. Nothing to worry about though. If it ever slipped on me it while winding on to "1"

Now, when you do shoot a roll of 24 exposure, most times you will get 26 before the canister empties itself. 36 exposures will give you 38 most times. But it will stop there.

Thank you!
well, loaded another roll. Rewind crank is turning when the film is advancing. I am ordering chemicals I need for developing the film, cant wait to try it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back