Something other than a wedding for once (7 photos)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, thank you for the definition of photography. I use a broader definition myself and look to emotion as well. You can have a perfectly lit photography that falls flat because the subject doesn't convey any emotion to the viewer.

Was the lighting perfect in this shot? Absolutely not and if I had a chance to reshoot I would try your suggestion. However, what was important to this couple was a nice expression on their daughter's face. If you took the time to view the link that I posted in my first posting here you will see that I actually tried several different positions to work with the lighting and the ones with them standing eliminated the lighting issue, but this is the one the family chose because of the feeling that comes across. Anybody that has worked with small children knows that their emotions change quickly and they don't sit for long. I give suggestions to parents on how to stand, and actually in this case, and in the ones under the link they were closer, but their daughter was squirming and so they moved apart slightly. What matters to me is that when this couple looks at these photos they see their daughter as she was. Not posed, but natural.

Again, thank you for your suggestion. Rest assured that I was concerned with the lighting, and used reflectors and if I had another set of arms I would have used a diffuser as well.

Tally Ho said:
No, perhaps you need to reread my posting. I suggested moving the family to camera left about six feet (and the camera was well). Then they would have been in the shadow of that big tree and there would have not been those huge streaks of sunlight across their bodies. Sun streaks across peoples faces or skin is a sure sign the photographer was not paying attention to the lighting. As was mentioned before the word 'photograph' means 'light drawn' or 'light written.'

Tally Ho
I think you need to re-read that and then correct it. Not making sense is a sure sign that the writer wasn't paying attention to his grammar.

Tally Ho said:
Sun streaks across peoples faces or skin is a sure sign the photographer was not paying attention to the lighting.
Tally,

A mere mortal like myself would intentionally allow the streaks and/or some photographers simply do not care about this issue. I would give more weight to the emotion in the picture. These are personal preferences.
But please do not set it in stone that the photographer is not attentive to the light when you see sun streaks in a picture. Absolutely bollocks!

Go to blackbook.com and check out some of the portraiture there. It has come a long way.
Trust me, you will make MORE sales if you come out of the shell that you are in right now. But then again, its your personal choice. I'm no one to impose it.

On another note, [ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0671723650/qid=1121897621/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-8093928-2191908?v=glance&s=books&n=507846]this[/ame] would be a nice read.

Dan, what a perfect recommendation, but somehow I don't think Tally is going to go there.

Tally Ho,
I think I have been nice thus far but I personally have pretty much had it with you. How dare you insult Alison as you have by implying she is not paying attention? You haven't shown me one damn photo yet that I would consider without fault. You wanna talk about bad lighting pal? Refer yourself to your own photo of the girl in half exorcist spin sitting on the trucker's seat. Her face is cut in half by the engulfing shadows.
Now don't get me wrong, people of all talent levels are encouraged to give advice to others, but the way you spoke to Alison is so arrogant. You don't have a tenth of the talent she has. Your photographs are nice (in a very typical Olin Mills way), but thay are also boring as $hit. Your backgrounds are consistantly busy and for the mostpart suck and your clients always seem to look uncomfortable.
What makes you think that paying some huge fee to attend a SEMINAR makes you an expert? Jesus, if that was the case, every half-wit with a camera and a few bucks in his pocket could make the same claims that you are so fond of.
You need to learn from Alison, because frankly you are not even in her league.
Regards,
Cindy (a VERY Pi$$ed off Cindy)

Christie Photo said:
Well, ya know... this guy's gonna be gone soon enough. I'm gonna give him another day or two to come out into the open. After that, I'm hitting the "ignore" button.
If we all do it at the same time, maybe he will get the message.

How's about this...I'm the moderator of this section of the board, and here's what I see and perceive thus far:

1. I would like to see civil discussion of images.
  2. That means no arrogance in critiques.
  3. That also means no abusive language or insults in replies.
I've shied away from heavily moderating much that's gone on here so far, but I'm getting closer to stepping in. I don't want to start locking threads, but that seems to be where it's heading.

So to put it bluntly and cleanly in the open: Tally Ho, please watch the arrogance (yes, it's there). Everyone else, please keep it civil in your responses to all members of the board.

I can see I am a Neanderthal and stupid as well, and all of you are much much better people, in fact saints, no to mention much better photographers and a lot more in tune with human nature and human emotions as well. Also more knowledgable in photographic lighting, exposure, metering, posing, composition and are extremely artistic. I need to soak up some of this vast photographic knowledge that everyone wants to pass on here, so I will shut up, not make any more ignorant suggestions and let you have your forum back like it was B.T. (Before Tally!)

Cheerio.

Tally Ho

P.S. I will post some more images later, much later, much much later. Maybe even tomorrow!

let you have your forum back like it was B.T. (Before Tally!)

Actually, we're not referring to you as "Tally". We've been referring to you as "the Ho."

Mistah Ho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back