Something wrong here?

eterrisinCYQX

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got a roll of film developed, from a camera I'd never used before. Everything turned out black. None of the pictures can even be seen. I had it done at WalMart, probably not a great move, but no studio in town to have it done by. The film had been sitting out, not in a case, for five or six years at least. I did shoot probably half the roll at the wrong ASA, 100 as opposed to 200, but that shouldn't completely black out everything, should it?

I am new to film, I don't know the terms, but something similar happened to me. I developped film given to me by a teacher, at Walmart, and it came back all black. Supposedly it is because the film was meant to be developped in the dark room using different chemicals than they use at large developing-stores.

Sorry, I know that's really hard to understand... I'm rather illiterate in the world of film photography... :p

Black equals over-exposed. What camera were you using? What kind of film? Did they send it out? There's a lot of variables here, so we need to start narrowing some things down...

Was the Film Color Neg or BW, also as Steph said "What is black? The negatives or the prints?"

If your prints are black your film was not exposed at all, if the negs are black the film is extremly over exposed.

We need to know what is what before offering any explinations.

Using a Minolta SRT 200, 79 or so model year.

Film was some Fujifilm stuff I had laying around, I shot it at the wrong ASA-200 instead of 100.

I didn't receive the prints, just the negatives, they were black.

Is the film also black in the sprocket area and between frames? On negative film , tese areas should be clear (no exposure). If the entire film area is black it means film has been totally fogged, possibly from age, or heat exposure. With age especially, film will eventually "self fog", heat speeds up the process. John, www.zuiko.com

Film was some Fujifilm stuff I had laying around ...

What Fujifilm stuff was it? It matters.

If it was B&W or slide film, then that's the problem because I doubt Wal-Mart
would (or could) process it correctly.

What Fujifilm stuff was it? It matters.
If it was B&W or slide film, then that's the problem because I doubt Wal-Mart​

would (or could) process it correctly.​

Well, it was film bought for the camera we used for general point and shooting before we got into digital, which I assume means it's just "standard" film, if that makes any sense. It's color, 100 ASA.​

It was also 7 years old, could age have gotten to it?​

Films do have expiration dates and are adversely affected by heat but this
shouldn't totally destroy the image.

I suspect that the Wal-Mart "technician" accidentally exposed the film before
putting it into the processor.

Hell, could have been me who exposed it.

I really just wanna make sure there's nothing broke in the camera.

Go to the store, buy a fresh roll of film, and run it through the camera. Take the film to a decent lab and try it again.

Go to the store, buy a fresh roll of film, and run it through the camera. Take the film to a decent lab and try it again.

Agreed, It sounds like an error made either by you or the lab tech, I have used fuji color film that was older than seven years with no ill effect. Try it again and if the results are the same we'll go from there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back