Sometimes i go for the Inexpensive Canon..

Photo Lady

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Does anyone else have trouble just setting thier new camera.. I have the Nikon d 5000 ... i love it.. but it is tricky setting it.. with out reaching for the book... so i just grabbed my old canon...of course i know when i have the Nikon set properly ... they would have been better then these...
018-1.jpg

016-3.jpg

Last edited:
Nope, I never go for the P&S Canon that I have collecting dust.

I'm sure you can see the issues with the photos, so...

No i always reach for an expensive Canon, once you get used to them you can set them up without even thinking about it, i first set my F stop depending on what DOF i want then shutter speed, ISO as low as i can get away with (unless i am wanting to show movement then i will set shutter speed first), to get a base reading i will take a reading off some grass that is going to be lit the same as the subject, if i'm shooting street photography i will take a reading off my hand

Nope, I never go for the P&S Canon that I have collecting dust.

I'm sure you can see the issues with the photos, so...
yes..thanks... i am just frustrated with the amount of time i spend on setting my new nikon.......... no doubt at all that i love this nikon... does not even compare... but does anyone know the name of the author who describes in detail each step of settings on nikon.. with pics.. my pc crashed and all that great info i had was lost.. i was learning alot compared to this confusing book..Is there a link here to this man.... i hope so.... he had described everything ...aperture, balance etc and would illustrate all the different effects by using the different settings.. as well as actually told you every detail on the nikon d 5000... anybody know who i mean...sort of grasping at straws... but i need that info..lol

Last edited:
No i always reach for an expensive Canon, once you get used to them you can set them up without even thinking about it, i first set my F stop depending on what DOF i want then shutter speed, ISO as low as i can get away with (unless i am wanting to show movement then i will set shutter speed first), to get a base reading i will take a reading off some grass that is going to be lit the same as the subject, if i'm shooting street photography i will take a reading off my hand
very good advice... thanks... i will do that but still want something to follow...

The only problem with relying too much on a book to show you how to set each shot up is, when the books not there anymore; you're unsure.

I would start off in Auto, then Program, then something semi auto like the Aperture or Shutter Priority.

The only problem with relying too much on a book to show you how to set each shot up is, when the books not there anymore; you're unsure.

I would start off in Auto, then Program, then something semi auto like the Aperture or Shutter Priority.
i agree.. the only problem is when you go from point and shoot to DSLR you do not really know the values of the ranges etc.. until you get all that into your head you still need something to guide you at that moment.... okay i will be back tommorrow.. same type of pics with nikon.. it will be a challenge but i will do it until i get it right..thanks

thanks for all the links in your signature, the info is great.. thats what i was looking for..

until you get all that into your head you still need something to guide you at that moment....

That would be the light meter.

1. Set your ISO. Is the subject well lit? Low ISO. Is it dark? High ISO.
2. Set your aperture. Small F/number = shallow depth of field/more light enters, allows faster shutter speed. Big F/number = great depth of field/less light enters, requires slow shuter.
3. Meter your subject and set your shutter speed accordingly.
Image too bright, increase shutter speed. Image too dark, lower shutter speed.

until you get all that into your head you still need something to guide you at that moment....

2. Set your aperture. Small F/number = shallow depth of field/more light enters, allows faster shutter speed. Big F/number = great depth of field/less light enters, requires slow shuter.
thanks thanks thanks... thats all i need.... thanks,...

I am coming from a Canon IS S2 P&S camera and this was a huge step. I found a book on amazon that helped alot. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-D5000-Snapshots-Great-Shots/dp/0321659430]Amazon.com: Nikon D5000: From Snapshots to Great Shots (9780321659439): Jeff Revell: Books[/ame] This is a beginner DSLR book written specifically for D5000 owners. It explains may of the things you need to know about using SLR and how to do it with the D5000. Before reading it my friends would throw out terms like triangle, exposure, ISO, white balance and I did not get it. I read lots of pages on what they meant but I could not connect the dots to allow me to use my D5000 to its potential. This book for me connected may of the dots and I feel much more comfortable using it and understanding what I'm doing when I shoot.

thanks thanks thanks... thats all i need.... thanks,...

You're welcome.
It becomes more complicated when you decide what effect you want in an image, because then you have to think about how all of those things relate. Getting a "proper" exposure isn't as mysterious as it seems. All those who tout with great pride that they shoot in manual are doing pretty much those 3 steps. After years of experience, people develop a keen eye, and rely much less on the meter.

Start adding lighting (flash) and things become more complicated.

Most reactions

Back