Somewhat new to photography, looking for a starting camera

VoLcOmKiDd911

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.live-360.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well im 16, turning 17 august 6th and im looking for a camera to get thats in the $400 price range. im probably going to buy it online on ebay or something. i like the feel of the nikon d40 and would get it but i want to know if theres a better option or not.

Thanks,
-Brandon

ya if u raise ur price range to about $500 you can get a new canon rebel xs on ebay. or else ur looking for a used camera. good luck!

Since I'm sure you can't raise your price, I'd go with a used body. Actually, maybe go cheaper on the body and buy another lens, like a 50mm 1.8. Just a thought. Camera bodies come and go and are outdated a LOT faster than the accessories (lenses, flashes, etc.) surrounding them. Maybe build up your accessories, and THEN invest in a new camera.

Its just a strategy. Its not what you should do, only what you should consider.

yeah i cant raise my price range, thats acctually the highest i could go since its a birthday present. that d60 sounds nice, and i dont really mind if its used. it sounds like he took good care of it knowing that there isnt any scratches/dents and whatnot. probably my best option it looks like right now.

Last edited:
yeah, i suggest getting in contact with him and see whether he can do any better, even though 400 is very good already!

I mean.... a D60 in Australia will cost 800 AUD second hand. Thats like 720 USD. Then again.. all photo equipment in Australia is expensive!!! =(

Good luck with it all!

I got my D60 body for $322 off ebay from Cameta camera. The 18-55 lens was another $129, but it was the VR model so if you go with non-VR you can probably knock $20-30 off the price. Plus this was a factory refurb, so it was basically new. I think you could get a D40, D40x or a D60 with the kit lens for the price you're talking.

Good luck.

ya if u raise ur price range to about $500 you can get a new canon rebel xs on ebay. or else ur looking for a used camera. good luck!

What are you guys talking about?

You can get a brand new nikon D40 with kit lens for $420 on newegg.com.

yep true. not if ur in australia though. the prices are through the roof!

makes me want to move to where he is to get some good gear.. but then i will miss everything here too much. meh. pay the extra :(

I got my D60 body for $322 off ebay from Cameta camera. The 18-55 lens was another $129, but it was the VR model so if you go with non-VR you can probably knock $20-30 off the price. Plus this was a factory refurb, so it was basically new. I think you could get a D40, D40x or a D60 with the kit lens for the price you're talking.

Good luck.
what does VR mean?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back