Somewhat vivid film for outside portraiture

Discussion in 'The Professional Gallery' started by modbohemian, Sep 3, 2006.

1. modbohemian

modbohemian TPF Noob!

Hi,

I'm new here but not new to photography. However, it's been a long time since I've done any serious shooting.

I need some film for outside portraiture, but I'd like something just slightly more saturated than the average wedding or portraiture. I'm thinking of using 160-200 ISO.

It's been so many years since I've delved into my photography that I really can't recall the differences among some types of negative film, but I'm looking at Fuji Pro 160C. I don't want anything quite as vivid as Velvia (which, of course isn't negative, but I'm using it for comparison), but I'd like the saturation just a wee bit on the heavier side than the average portraiture film might be.

Any suggestions? I'll be using an N90s with a 35-70mm f/2.8D Nikkor lens for 35mm and an old Rolleicord for the 120.

2. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You could shoot a roll of Kodak PORTRA 400VC Film (VC=Vibrant Color) and see if you like it. I haven't tried it myself. If you are partial to Fuji Films, then by all means go with 160C. I haven't used it, but I have used NPS 160. It claims to have enhanced saturation, so it sounds like a good choice also.

3. modbohemian

modbohemian TPF Noob!

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not partial to Fuji at all. I've used NPS, and it is a great film, but I think I'm looking for something just one notch above it for saturation.

Any idea how Kodak 100UC, Kodak 400VC, and Fuji Pro 160C all compare with one another?

4. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

When I stopped shooting film, I was using Kodak's 160NC. At that time, they were also selling 160VC (vivid color). I've never used it. I think they have a newer line now... ultra color?

5. modbohemian

modbohemian TPF Noob!

Yes, the Kodak UC100 is Ultra Color 100ASA. I've never used it, but I decided to take a chance, based on some reviews I've seen, so I'll be using it in both 35 and 120. We'll see what happens!