Somewhat vivid film for outside portraiture

modbohemian

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here but not new to photography. However, it's been a long time since I've done any serious shooting.

I need some film for outside portraiture, but I'd like something just slightly more saturated than the average wedding or portraiture. I'm thinking of using 160-200 ISO.

It's been so many years since I've delved into my photography that I really can't recall the differences among some types of negative film, but I'm looking at Fuji Pro 160C. I don't want anything quite as vivid as Velvia (which, of course isn't negative, but I'm using it for comparison), but I'd like the saturation just a wee bit on the heavier side than the average portraiture film might be.

Any suggestions? I'll be using an N90s with a 35-70mm f/2.8D Nikkor lens for 35mm and an old Rolleicord for the 120.

You could shoot a roll of Kodak PORTRA 400VC Film (VC=Vibrant Color) and see if you like it. I haven't tried it myself. If you are partial to Fuji Films, then by all means go with 160C. I haven't used it, but I have used NPS 160. It claims to have enhanced saturation, so it sounds like a good choice also.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not partial to Fuji at all. I've used NPS, and it is a great film, but I think I'm looking for something just one notch above it for saturation.

Any idea how Kodak 100UC, Kodak 400VC, and Fuji Pro 160C all compare with one another?

When I stopped shooting film, I was using Kodak's 160NC. At that time, they were also selling 160VC (vivid color). I've never used it. I think they have a newer line now... ultra color?

Yes, the Kodak UC100 is Ultra Color 100ASA. I've never used it, but I decided to take a chance, based on some reviews I've seen, so I'll be using it in both 35 and 120. We'll see what happens!

Most reactions

Back