Son looking tough, trying diff light arrangements

dizzyg44

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Constructive C&C please

Done with single strobe and reflector, minor level adjustments but very close to originals. No actual editing to them (hence the eyes could look better).

Lighting is so freakin' challenging yet so fun. I have so much to learn.

3627530740_33ae5433fc_b.jpg

3627380472_0934e824db_b.jpg

3627377254_9bab18798a_b.jpg

3627363654_1ff0dd857d_b.jpg

3627522054_cb624b0c2d_b.jpg

6. Multiple lighting
3626134369_42fa136f57_b.jpg

First, I think the background is far too LifeTouch, but to each his own.

I would primarily work on getting more light into his eyes. He's got these great blue eyes and they're dim and gray in these shots. Great eyes will make your subjects pop.

More light in the eyes, yeah. Reflector from below, mayhaps?

Shot #2 is great. However, the catch lights in some of them are only on one eye, it would be good if you post process the missing ones in so that it does not look unbalanced.

Lighting is 'freaking' challenging, and so is posing... ;) And we all have much to learn...

I think you should drop your main light, all comments so far hint on the eyes. Setting your main light lower will certainly get that missing life and catch lights in there, and also eliminate the shadows beneath his eyebrows, nose and chin.

Try moving in closer with the reflector, to soften the shadows cast on the face off of main. Also try to NEVER shoot the sitter from below - it's really too unflattering. It's quite obvious how the boy is turning his head up toward the light - don't bring him to the light, bring the light to him, and into his eyes...

The last picture is much better, really nice - more even lighting, the catch light in his eyes and also a way better angle on his face. He's shining! He just seems so much more comfortable and natural there. All the previous portraits have a 'forced' feel to them...

Thanks Guys/Gals.........

All Suggestions duly noted.

I know what you mean about shooting from below, He wanted to look a little tough or pensive. I guess it didn't quite work.

Posing is extremely hard, especially with a 6 yr old who can't stay still and is constantly flinching...arggh.....

Can't wait to see the next results after trying you all's suggestions.

I think that you should also look at camera angle and what facial features the camera angle is emphasizing. You may not want to necessarily emphasize certain features if they distract from the eyes.

skieur

A decent job on the process, I just don't think this was the prime example to process. I keep wanting to look at the eyes but they are not the central focus.

EDIT: Right eye seems OOF if I wasnt precise enough

Thanks for the comments. I lost the raw and had to use the jpeg on flickr to edit.

I added the catchlight myself as it didn't have one, my poor PP skills and jpeg compression are possible making it look OOF, but that's just a guess.

Well I wouldnt say that its necessarily out of focus (should have worded by last post better, i apologize), but its just not the central focus point which usually ends up working best for this type of close portrait.

Good job none the less, keep em coming.

quick 5 minute process.....

Getting the missing catchlight was tough to draw so I instead copied it to new layer via magic selection tool and moved it over, 81 warming filter @ 20% opacity.

I tried to brighten the eye, but one was already way brighter than the other and couldn't quite get them to match before bringing them up together, no matter what I did just leaving it alone looked more natural.

I know these are creatively boring really, but I'm trying to get them some what technically correct first before trying to be creative.

3636386213_e14a7706d0_b.jpg

Last edited:
I like the first edit. That eye contact is so direct and challenging, i don't understand how it could not draw you in...

Good job on adding the catch light in the second edit. It's a little bit more fuzzy than the one in his right eye, but well done. So you learn.

Nice to also see you having the patience working on them, instead of ditching it and carrying on. By spending the time you will have a much better idea of what you want to capture in camera next time.

Thank you.

That's one of my main goals, to learn to get it right in camera instead of in post. Post will almost always be necessary but it will always look more real if it really is........

Are you referring to the subjects right or viewer's right?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back