soneone help me!

Discussion in 'Film Discussion and Q & A' started by nealjpage, Jul 7, 2007.

1. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I really need someone to tell me what I'm doing wrong. I bought an Epson 4490 and it works awesome...for B & W film. When it comes to color positives, forget it. They all come out a bit like this:

[​IMG]

The colors are close, but it's just not clear. And I know it's not the slide--they're 645 and I looked at 'em thru an 8x loupe. The slides are absolutely sharp. What gives? I'm at the end of my rope here! Someone give tell me that there's one variable I'm not checking. Oh, and BTW, upping resolution to 1200 doesn't help. Turning off unsharp mask doesn't, either.

2. j_mcquillen

j_mcquillen TPF Noob!

Is it sharpness your talking about, or the fact the image is somewhat dark?

It's hard to tell from a pic of that size how sharp a higher resoloution image would be. Turning off unsharp mask would make your images less sharp - most scanned slides / negs need a certain amount of USM to improve them, but I generally find its better to do this post-scan in photoshop (or equivalent) as you have more control than at the scanning stage.

3. ANDS!

ANDS! No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    The top of that picture is sweet; but then I have (at least compared to this site) varied tastes on what I like in a photo.

4. nealjpage

nealjpage multi format master in a film geek package

Photos OK to edit
    USM doesn't seem to be the variable--they still have a certain softness to them regardless. Take these two:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maybe I'm crazy, but things just look somewhat muted compared to looking at the slide directly.