Sonja

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by WEBARMY, Aug 12, 2008.

1. WEBARMY

WEBARMY TPF Noob!

Comments Appreciated. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Good effort!

3. WEBARMY

WEBARMY TPF Noob!

I'll take that comment as meaning good shots?

Thank you. Anyone else like to comment? I have a lot of views but only one comment. I'm posting up here to hopefully get better. :)

4. Ajay

Ajay TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You exposure looks pretty good, but one thing you definitely want to avoid when photographing a woman is shooting up at her. It's very rarely flattering for a woman. You are looking up her nose and her chin starts to disappear. Try shooting from above next time.

Also, the pose in the last one is very awkward and also not flattering to her at all. She looks uncomfortable and her right arm is very distracting.

Like I said, though, your exposure looks really good, just work on your posing. Do some googling or just look around the pro gallery on this site for some great ideas. Keep up the good work.

5. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    It means "Good effort". Please note that your original post did not request comment or critique, therefore none was rendered. However since you've now asked, away we go. The images aren't bad, however they're also not without their issues.

1. As noted previously, this isn't a good aspect for anyone unless there's absolutely no choice. The exposure here appears to me to be about 1/2 stop over.

2. Better exposure in this one, but try and avoid having the sun to your back; no matter how much the subject tries, their eyes won't be natural. Use a fill-flash instead. Also note the DoF in this image. There's too much. Sonja is where the eye should be focusing, but because of the sharply focused background, there's way too much to see. Also, always, always, ALWAYS avoid things which appear to grow out of peoples heads (the flag poles).

3. As per 1.

4. This is a nice, casual portrait, with a really nice look. The right forearm is a little too bright, but some burning would take care of that. I think I might also look at a slightly closer crop, and again, DoF; ensure your aperture is wide enough to only give you the minimum necessary DoF (The EXIF data is stripped off the images so I don't know what your aperture actually was). DoF Preview is your friend.

Overall a good effort, with a few technical and artistic niggles. What I would suggest, is that you take the suggestions offered by the various repsondants to this thread, and reshoot and see how you've improved.

Keep up the good work.

Just my $00.02 worth - your milage may vary.

~John

6. WEBARMY

WEBARMY TPF Noob!

Thank you very much for the suggestions.

As for aperture I am kinda stuck. One of the dials that controls a lot on my camera is broke. :( I have to work with automatic stuff right now. It really sucks as I am a manual shooter but am now having to do my best with lighting and what-not. Also that dial controls what kind of flash I use. :(

Hopefully I can get this fixed soon. Once I do I will take all the suggestions into consideration. :)

7. tirediron

Photos OK to edit
    Well that sucks mightily - good luck getting it fixed!