Son's Senior Portraits

Discussion in 'People Photography' started by Chris Stegner, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Chris Stegner

Chris Stegner TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    [​IMG]

I have a feeling I'm opening myself up to some tongue lashing, but what the heck... give it to me.

My wife asked that I shoot our son's senior photos. NO, NO, NO I said. But those that are married may understand why I finally gave in. I really hate to shoot "Posed People" shots, but thought I'd give it a shot.

I'm only posting one here so CC this one if you'd like, but I'd love to get some feedback (general) on the whole gallery.

Chris Stegner - BluegrassPhotography.Net | Andrew Senior Photos (First Round Edits)

Let me say this... to those of you that do this type of photography on a regular basis... great for you. I'm impressed by your knowledge of color and light. Skin tones are killing me!

I guess if I decided to shoot more like this I could "some day" get close to some of the stuff I've seen here, but for now, I'll stick to my landscapes.

Thanks for looking!

2. gian133

gian133 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    They look great to me. I like number 13. Cool old railing. It looks like you got some good locations.

And im sure your wife is plenty happy. I took casual outdoor shots for my sister but she then she still had to pay $50 for a 15 min session to get her formal yearbook shot.

3. Foques

Foques TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i looked through the gallery. Just my opinions.. but, hey.. thats what the forums are here for, aye?
    I think you are cropping a tad too close, and cropping out essential body parts. some are really nice shots, though.

4. Chris Stegner

Chris Stegner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for looking! And the C&C. It's nice to see there are some that take some time helping out. You actually made me feel bad that I don't offer more to some discussions! I do appreciate it.

5. Chris Stegner

Chris Stegner TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got back some proofs from this set and in general color is good, but some are just blah. Mainly skin tones. I think I'll meet with the lab people and see if they can help me out.

I typically only view (and display) my images online, which is not the best way of learning good color.

I'll have to work on that!

6. Eco

Eco TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    #19 showing the second step/ladder rung is cool since he is finishing one step in life and others are in front of him.....maybe I read into photos a little?

#32, #47, #64 I like all of those as well= well done.

7. leighthal

leighthal TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I don't care for any of the ones in the red striped shirt with the red brick. Too busy. File 9187 is the one I liked the best. Moody---just like a teenager.
    The ones with the art board in front of the graffiti are a nice series but the squinting due to sun is a bit "too bad". Applause for the portraits. I've tried and failed miserably on a few occasions. They always look like snapshot when I try it.

8. AverageJoe

AverageJoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Put the background further away from your subject, then put your 70-200 on, open it all the way up and back away from the subject till desired framing is achieved then shoot. This will blur your background, isolate your subject and make for a more interesting shot. I'm a complete amateur but from experience this make a little more interesting.

9. Dcrymes84

Dcrymes84 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Nice i like #65

10. Toni Marie

Toni Marie TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I really like #55 and #57. Good job.