Sony 6mp sensor (Nikon, Pentax)

skid2964

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently acquired a Pentax *istD, it was listed as a "demo" model, It suffered from something I never even knew about: "hot pixels". I kept seeing these bright spots on my jpegs. I sent the camera back for repair or refund.
I purchased another *istD with a lower shutter count, an open box item. closer to new. It has hot pixels also! but not as many.
So, I'm thinking, although I want a Pentax to utilize all my older lenses, maybe I should get a D70s like I had before, it didnt have any hot pixels, but come to find out, they suffer from the same thing since they use the same sensor.

My question: is this the only sensor from years past that had this problem? If I go looking for a deal on an older Canon (XT or 20D or whatever), Pentax (K10 or whatever), Nikon whatever, will I run accross this problem again? Or was this purely a Sony 6mp problem?

Does the Pentax K100 have this same sensor?

I recently acquired a Pentax *istD, it was listed as a "demo" model, It suffered from something I never even knew about: "hot pixels". I kept seeing these bright spots on my jpegs. I sent the camera back for repair or refund.
I purchased another *istD with a lower shutter count, an open box item. closer to new. It has hot pixels also! but not as many.
So, I'm thinking, although I want a Pentax to utilize all my older lenses, maybe I should get a D70s like I had before, it didnt have any hot pixels, but come to find out, they suffer from the same thing since they use the same sensor.

My question: is this the only sensor from years past that had this problem? If I go looking for a deal on an older Canon (XT or 20D or whatever), Pentax (K10 or whatever), Nikon whatever, will I run accross this problem again? Or was this purely a Sony 6mp problem?

Does the Pentax K100 have this same sensor?

Even the 1Ds MIII suffers from this problem in certain circumstances. A few hot pixels when shooting long exposures are not uncommon. They are easily cloned out. Hot pixels at 100 ISO at 1/125th on the other hand are not. It is usually with long timed exposures that the hot pixels will show up.

Define "had this problem"

At what settings? ISO and shutter speed. Was NR turned on or off. Given a long enough exposure the entire sensor will be nothing but dead pixels. Very rarely are they actually stuck during normal exposures.

My D200 suffers from them starting at 1/4th @ ISO640. At lower ISOs the exposures can be longer before they set in. Different cameras (even the same model) will often start showing the problem at different times.

With my *istD, I hot pixels at all ISO settings and shutter speeds.

Ok if you have hot pixels at ISO100 and at fast shutterspeeds I would send it for a warrenty claim.

Most reactions

Back