Sony A 700 announced - competes with Nikon D300, Canon 40D

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Iron Flatline, Sep 6, 2007.

1. So here we go, Sony is finally stepping up. They put in a GREAT sensor (CMOS, not CCD!) and a lot of really deeply-thought-out functionality.

DP REVIEW LINK

I have no intention of buying one - I've got a lot of Canon gear and will buy the Leica R10 when it comes to market - but if I were starting from scratch I would seriously consider Sony. They have ALWAYS set the standard once they've decided to get into the professional market. I wouldn't be surprised to see them be a huge photo-brand in the pro market a few years from now.

... if they don't lard it with pointless proprietary technology...

2. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Ooohhh...

Very nice. Looks to have everything I was hoping for (back when I decided to dump my Minolta gear :roll: )... design-wise it seems to have kept the best bits of the film 7 / 7D, and refined it...
    ... only reservation, scene modes... waste of space ;)

Can't wait to see the kind of images it can produce, especially at higher ISOs (hopefully the new sensor will be pretty impressive in that regard, especially since the camera lets you go up to 6400 ISO).

Now if Sony can bring out some more lenses, and bring the price down on the current ones, I may be wishing I hung onto my Minolta stuff...

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: /\ this sentence should be printed at poster size in Sony HQ.

3. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    impressive. I'm glad to see Sony is joining the professional market. I dream of the day when Pentax enters this realm.

4. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

I dunno... Pentax has done cameras of this level and above before. The LX, the PZ1, the MZ-S... plus the lenses to match, like the FA* zooms... They just need to do it again, but at the moment they're more interested in the entry to mid levels.

To be honest though Sony isn't entering the professional market either. They just released a body which is better than their (only) other one. This is still very much a mid range camera, like the 7D and the film 7 before... the Alpha "900" when it arrives should be a true "professional" camera. Plus they need to do a lot more with their system as a whole to be in the professional market.

5. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah, i doubt you're going to see many pro's using the new sony, but the class that this camera is entering is what many consider an entry level pro camera. sealed, magnesium body, that sort of jazz.

Basically I'd just like to see pentax produce something so I know I'll be able to upgrade from the K10D eventually (don't need to for a long time) without changing brands.

6. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    if any mods are reading this,i guess you can delete my sony thread now...

7. Sw1tchFX

Sw1tchFX TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Pretty much.

8. Buszaj

Buszaj TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Complete beginners will consider this camera, but people who know their stuff or even know something about photography, will probably buy Canon or Nikon. Pros won't buy the Sony most likely, but I think that quite a bit of starters will be using it. I think Sony should stick to PlayStation and TVs.;)

9. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

Those claiming to be in the know on forums are, as always, saying various usually contradictory things. It can probably be assumed that we will see a body of the class you're looking for, and it's just a question of when. In the meantime I hope they focus on getting more lenses out :wink:

10. Don Simon

Don Simon TPF Noob!

If complete beginners consider this camera they obviously have a lot of disposable income. :lol:

Pros won't buy the Sony not because of any problem with quality but because the system overall is lacking in products, availability and support. With that said, there are always pros using Minolta, Pentax, and Olympus... they are just in the minority. It will appeal to "people who know their stuff" and "know something about photography" as well, because it'll be a very good camera (same as the Minolta ones before it) that takes very good lenses... not everyone needs what Canon or Nikon have to offer, and despite what their fans think they don't inherently do everything best. ;)

I can't help thinking that every time Sony entered a new area, there were people saying they should have stuck to what they were doing before... if they had done that, they wouldn't be making Playstations or TVs today either ;)

11. shorty6049

shorty6049 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    yeah, i dont think beginners will consider that camera, its aimed toward the advanced amature to semi-pro catergory and i think it'll put up a strong fight against the 40d becasue of its similar price (albeit a couple hundred dollars more) and very similar feature set. Each one has its pros and cons. from what i can tell, sony IS building up their lens inventory too. They just released a couple new lenses with this camera, and canon has been doign this forever, how would they NOT have more lenses than sony? Minolta on the other hand has a wide range of lenses that can still be bought used. if i can ever get the money for this one, i'll most likely buy it.

12. SteveLuke

SteveLuke TPF Noob!

First off what "starter" is going to feel the need to drop $1400 for a camera body and then need to buy a lens. Canon and Nikon are great brands as you have mentioned, but are you taking this from what everyone else is telling you....or from your experiance with your Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ3. Also your last sentence is just ignorant.