Sony A100 DSLR And nikon D80

paintballpunk23

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi I am looking into getting a dslr and have narrowed it down to these two pretty much. I am wondering what some people feel are the pro's and cons of both.

i'd go with a D80 becuase it feels more comfortable in MY hands and the operation makes more sense to ME.

I'd go with the A100 simply because it feels right in MY hands and its operation makes sense to ME. (just to counter sw1tchFX up there)

Actually, A100 and D80 are comparable. A100 is a bit noisier at 800 and up iso. It has the SteadyShot within the body whereas the D80 doesn't. Lenses for the A100 are available but may be hard to come across since Tamaron and Sigma are limiting their production of lenses for the A100. Or at least last I heard, they were. However, lenses that were made for Mintola will fit the Sony. You may be able to get those for a lower price if stores are clearing out their Minotla stuff.

Personally if it were simply a case of "which camera" I would go for the D80 too, partly for the lower noise at higher ISO levels and availability of ISO 3200 in-camera. But then personally I would probably wait to see if Sony came out with a new version of the Minolta 7D. To be honest either of these cameras are good and are part of good SLR systems. Nikon's range of bodies, lenses, flashes and accessories is more extensive and more widely available, though that doesn't necessarily mean their system is better for you. Basically I think you'd be happy with either when it comes to specifications and capability, and it's just a case of narrowing down your priorities and preferences to work out which is a better camera and a better system to go for.

I just wanted to add - get ye to a camera store and test them both out in your own hands. I have handled Nikon, Canon, Minolta, and now Sony. Minolta and Sony are the ones that felt *right* in my hands. However, I do like Nikon's performance but the camera never really felt right in my hands for a lack of better words.

I own the alpha and would suggest getting a Nikon D80.The comment earlier about lenses not being offered is right on.I have had to scour ebay and the like just to find old lenses that would work on my camera rather than being able to buy the sigma tamron versions.
Yes it has IS built in but the lenses offered by sony are more expensive than any canon IS I have seen so I dont see the benifit here either.
You have 2 flash options and I dont even know about the wireless flash option that fires flashes with the camera flash(all seems a little hokey to me)
If you want a better camera for about the same money go with the Nikon.
I am already thinking about moving to nikon if Sony doesnt make some changes with the next model.

VR in the lenses also works better than in the camera body becuase you can see it working and sdjust for that.

I was at a store yesterday playing with both and I have a friend with the sony. Personal feel I like the d80 better just cause of the placement of the shutter button. But the sony seems to be more user friendly from what I have seen so far. I appreciate the comments so far it seems more and more like the d80 is the better choice.

I also own a Sony A100 and am very pleased with it. As just a keen armature Sony and previously Minolta has all the equipment I might need, but if you intend to develop your interest further the Nikon have much more to offer in the way of lenses, bodies, flashes etc. you need to remember that once you have committed yourself to one particular brand it will become expensive to change.

Between the two, I'd go with the one that feels "right" in my hands, and has a viewfinder that feels "right". With modern DSLRs, taking good photographs will (for the most part) depend on you, and not the camera specs. Get what feels "comfortable" in your hands.

I have the Sony A100. I love it. Feels good in my hands. Easy to use. I have had no problem finding lenses for it. Have you checked. bandhphoto.com.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back