Sony A200 , total newbie here . . .

As far as the filters, I have the step up kit and it seems to work fine when I remember that I have it, lol. The lens that you have is decent for macro(not the best but it serves its purpose). Here are a couple that I have taken with the kit lens and my A200. and the cuttlefish was tiny!!!

Wooow dude . . . I got to know what settings were you using ??

I am a total noob to this photography stuff , so please try to explain as if you were explaining or teaching your little nephew ;)

Wooow dude . . . I got to know what settings were you using ??

I am a total noob to this photography stuff , so please try to explain as if you were explaining or teaching your little nephew ;)

The egg and cuttle fish were on the Macro setting on the camera ( the flower symbol) and the other one was shot using the P setting on the camera. All of it was auto focus. All I did on the one of the guy sitting down was change the shutter speed and turned it black and white in photoshop elements 7. The A200 is an easy camera to under stand and use. I am already shooting in full manual mode now and I have only had the camera 6 months. Here are a couple more recent ones I took. http://http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/173751-few-new-50mm-1-8-a.html

For the fish he used
ISO: 1600
Shutter speed: 1/30
Aperture: f5.6
Control mode: Program (2)
Metering: Pattern
Focal length: 70mm
Focal length in 35mm film: 105mm

I am already shooting in full manual mode now and I have only had the camera 6 months.
The day i recieved my Canon 450D i set it straight to manual... (yes it was my first DSLR)
I recommend Using Semi-Auto modes unless your in a confusing lighting situaion in which case set to manual.
but for everything else use Aperture priority or if you need a fast shutter speed, Use shutter Priority.
That is what I now use.

The egg and cuttle fish were on the Macro setting on the camera ( the flower symbol) and the other one was shot using the P setting on the camera. All of it was auto focus. All I did on the one of the guy sitting down was change the shutter speed and turned it black and white in photoshop elements 7. The A200 is an easy camera to under stand and use. I am already shooting in full manual mode now and I have only had the camera 6 months. Here are a couple more recent ones I took. http://http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/photography-beginners-forum-photo-gallery/173751-few-new-50mm-1-8-a.html
Thanks dude . . . I will keep an eye on your posts and comments , although I have to say , I can not see your gallery , do you have another link I can follow ?? thank you !!

For the fish he used
ISO: 1600
Shutter speed: 1/30
Aperture: f5.6
Control mode: Program (2)
Metering: Pattern
Focal length: 70mm
Focal length in 35mm film: 105mm
That's what I'm talking about :thumbup: thank you . . . thank you !!

if you use Firefox Web browser download this addon
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3905
lets you see the info about the image
Just right click image then view image exif

if your not using firefox, You should :) (Firefox web browser | Faster, more secure, & customizable)
Yes I do use Mozilla , great browser . . . so :blushing: why or what do I need this add on for ?? :blushing:
It will let you right click on a picture and view the information about it like shutter speed, aperture, focal length, ISO, etc (assuming it's available for that picture -- some hosting sites don't keep that data intact).

You can also got to Tools > Add-ons in the browser itself and do a search for "exif" to find this program and some others that are similar.

Before you buy a macro lense, stop and take a good look at the lense that came with the camera. I have a Sony a300 and the 18-70mm lense that came with the camera is also a macro lense. It will say on the front something like this "0.38/1.3ft macro"

Before you buy a macro lense, stop and take a good look at the lense that came with the camera. I have a Sony a300 and the 18-70mm lense that came with the camera is also a macro lense. It will say on the front something like this "0.38/1.3ft macro"
That is exactly what my lens says . . . so how come I can not zoon or get close like with my Canon Point and Shoot ??

Set your lens to the longest forcal length, Use manual focus and just move back and forth until you find a good spot to take a sharp shot and use your lowest Aperture (small f/number)

what you want to do are get one of the older minolta maxxum "A" mount macro lenses. you can pick up a 35-70mm f4 of ebay in near mint condition for around $50 sometimes even cheaper. Here is a link to the dyxum review page for this lens.

Minolta*AF 35-70 F4*2551-100 lens for Sony Alpha - Minolta camera mount

this is a great lens for you to start out with
Thanks dude . . . I will look into those lens , I am also looking for a 50mm for portraits and such , I will take a look at eBay and will let you know if I got lucky ;)

Is this the lens that you are suggesting ??

LINK

One thing I just can not understand . . . if this is a 35-70 lens , and my kit lens are 18-70 wouldn't my lens be able to get closer ??

I mean 18 is less than 35 right ?? :blushing:

Am I getting it the wrong way ??

Can somebody please explain in simple words how to understand lens readings ?? and numbers ??

Please do keep in mind that I am totally a newbie ok ?? and I do not know the photographic ling ;)

p.s. By the way . . . what is C&C ??

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back