Sony a550 70-300mm lens. HELP

Blitz55

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I was looking for something with a pretty good zoom. I like what I see in the 70-300mm.
I just don't want to jump the gun on buying one without a little advice.

I came across this which is in my price range..id be willing to go up to $300 if it's really worth it. But $200 is about my range.

Amazon.com: Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 Di LD Macro Zoom Lens for Konica Minolta and Sony Digital SLR Cameras: TAMRON: Camera & Photo

Watched a video about it here. Though he is using the one fitted for the Cannon and I have a Sony.

Any thoughts on this lens?
Just want to find something to help me start to get a bit closer to little critters and birds without walking up to them and scaring them off.

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Generally in the price range what you are giving up are speed, build quality and CA. From the reviews I have seen it makes nice pictures but will hunt when focusing and is noisy.

Thanks Cosmonaut.

I'm comfortable knowing there will be a few things like that to deal with in my price range. But I want a good entry level zoom to help me get a bit closer to them critters and birds. I just want to make sure that the one I chose in that range is the best for the buck. These are the other two I have looked at and I think it would be between these two unless someone has a strong opinion other wise or has a better suggestion.

Sony 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 Alpha A-Mount Telephoto Zoom SAL-75300

OR

Last edited by a moderator:
I have that very Tamron lens, it has done me well. I have 3 photos in my gallery and they were all taken with that lens on a Sony a200.

Most reactions

Back