Sony A550 Sigma 28-70 indoor test. Cans...

I X L R 8

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just goofing off.
New camera, new to the digital world.
14 year old Sigma f2.8 on a Sony a550 body, indoors.

Photos seem to lose something when uploaded??????
Looks better on my editor.
Colors are as close to what the eye sees as it gets.
I wonder how much of an improvement a Ziess lens would achieve?

l_d649c3b25a3049939598f691ceffa6d8.jpg

Last edited:
Are you using the built in flash, or a separate flash? I'm guessing the built in one. Do you have any other lights you could use? They have really harsh highlights on them, that's why I wonder.

The second one is better than the first. It's not so dark. You might want to try a different angle, too. The front on shot looks... boring. Maybe try one can in focus, with others in the background out of focus?

Just a thought.

Photos seem to lose something when uploaded??????
Looks better on my editor.

I've heard several people complain about myspace messing up the image quality. People here seem to like flickr. I have my own website, so I can't say from personal experience.

Yeah, it's the built in flash.
Myspace does indeed mess up the image quality. These photos look better from my computer.
The top one for instance doesn't look under exposed.
I've just been testing the camera indoors with the built in flash and incandescent lighting, on live view auto mode.
I'm getting hooked on this stuff. Not good.

I'm really just testing the Camera and lens for color and detail.
It's not bad.

CANS8%20%20CROP.jpg

If you have a tripod, try some long exposures (you'll have to click over to Shutter Priority--Tv) or try auto, no flash (on my 300D it's the last option, opposite of "M"). It will give you a more natural look. If you don't have a tripod, you can set the camera on a counter or stool. If you have problems with shaking the camera when you push the shutter, use the 10 second timer.

Low light shots can be fun and frustrating.

And there's nothing wrong with getting hooked on photography.:lmao: Unless you value your bank account. lol.

When photos are uploaded to the web, it helps to "tag" them with an sRGB color profile so that browsers on Windows systems "See" the right colors...if you capture your images with the camera set to Adobe RGB, but upload them to a storage place, and then they are downloaded and viewed in a Windows browser that translates the images to the *expected* default color space of sRGB, well, the photos will often look kind of dull and lifeless when viewed outside of the editing software that originally was used to handle the photos. (This is a very simplified explanation BTW.) If you capture in Abobe RGB, then you would want to assign an sRGB profile when uploading for web-viewing of the files. Are you doing that? The fact that you say they "lose something" when viewed on the web, but look good in your editing software makes me suspect (know) that there;'s a color profile matching issue going on. It's a huge problem.

First thing is to check what color space the new Sony is set to capture in...I would suggest setting it to sRGB, and living with the ease of use that will bring, in so,so many ways....yes, Adobe RGB is a wider gamut...and we should not eat red meat, eggs, coffee,wheat,corn,soda pop,steak,fish,chicken,cereal,or candy....we should eat only whole,natural foods, and well, you know....but the simple upshot is that almost the entire world is set up to handle sRGB captures and files....RiteAid, Fuji Frontiers, most printing-out setups, inkjets, the Windows OS variants, etc.etc.

So...hand me a Diet Coke...

When photos are uploaded to the web, it helps to "tag" them with an sRGB color profile so that browsers on Windows systems "See" the right colors...if you capture your images with the camera set to Adobe RGB, but upload them to a storage place, and then they are downloaded and viewed in a Windows browser that translates the images to the *expected* default color space of sRGB, well, the photos will often look kind of dull and lifeless when viewed outside of the editing software that originally was used to handle the photos. (This is a very simplified explanation BTW.) If you capture in Abobe RGB, then you would want to assign an sRGB profile when uploading for web-viewing of the files. Are you doing that? The fact that you say they "lose something" when viewed on the web, but look good in your editing software makes me suspect (know) that there;'s a color profile matching issue going on. It's a huge problem.

First thing is to check what color space the new Sony is set to capture in...I would suggest setting it to sRGB, and living with the ease of use that will bring, in so,so many ways....yes, Adobe RGB is a wider gamut...and we should not eat red meat, eggs, coffee,wheat,corn,soda pop,steak,fish,chicken,cereal,or candy....we should eat only whole,natural foods, and well, you know....but the simple upshot is that almost the entire world is set up to handle sRGB captures and files....RiteAid, Fuji Frontiers, most printing-out setups, inkjets, the Windows OS variants, etc.etc.

So...hand me a Diet Coke...

It's not set to Adobe RGB. I will have to try that becuase the photos are most definitely losing image quality when uploaded. It's not that bad , but it is noticeable.
Thank you for your advice Derrel.

If you have a tripod, try some long exposures (you'll have to click over to Shutter Priority--Tv) or try auto, no flash (on my 300D it's the last option, opposite of "M"). It will give you a more natural look. If you don't have a tripod, you can set the camera on a counter or stool. If you have problems with shaking the camera when you push the shutter, use the 10 second timer.

Low light shots can be fun and frustrating.

And there's nothing wrong with getting hooked on photography.:lmao: Unless you value your bank account. lol.

These shots of the cans were taken off a tripod in low light.
The top photo is darker because I was trying to capture what the eye sees in the existing light, at that time, in my house.
It was a test to see how Sony matched with a Sigma lens resolved color, sharpness and detail overall, in lighting conditions that are not all that good. You are correct, it was frustrating and challenging.
It was also FUN. lol

So far I'm impressed with the Sony.
It does a lot more than I know how to do with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back