Sony A58, which lens to go for.

sailas

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi forum,

I am speculating which lens I should by for my A58. The kit one is ok, but I need more zoom for a reasonable price. I purchased a SAL55300 from Amazon.de, whilst it was on sale and I have to say it kind of disappointed me. The image quality is pretty ok, but the lens is a real battery hog (it consumes twice as much juice compared to the kit lens) and AF also does not work as good as the kit one does (especially at low light). And my first reaction to it was: guys, do you really charge 300 Euros for this?

Possible options:

1. Try to get another SAL55300, maybe something is wrong with my one.

2. Buy a cheap travel zoom, for instance this one: Tamron AF 18-200mm F/3,5-6,3 XR Di II LD. It would cover all the focal distances I need, but, frankly speaking, I am a little bit concerned, why is it that cheap.

3. Any other good lens, which has more zoom and which would not cost me a fortune?

What would you recommend?

Many thanks for your help.

Alex

I'm not familiar with the Sony A mount, but this is where I go for Sony Lens reviews:

Lens reviews

He's very thorough with plenty of sample pictures. You might want to compare your test shots to his to see if you got a bad copy of the lens.

Hi, thanks a lot! I already was there, Kurt liked this lens, actually. At one of the German forums I was advised to send the lens for alignment. Will see if it helps.

Most reactions

Back