Sony a6000 for a beginner?

Great! That little thing is just awesome and blows so many bigger, more expensive cameras away. I recommend it to all my friends and family members. Three have bought it already and are totally happy.
The weird thing is: most people dislike the sony menu style and controls. I love them. The only thing I'd change is the focus point setting. Sony should give us an option to adjust the focus point by clicking on the thumbwheel without clicking any button before. Sure that would take away some of the thumbwheel functions, but it would speed up the workflow extremely. Especially for my way of shooting.

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but … this is your third modern and very capable interchangeable-lens camera. If you're not getting the sort of quality you wish or see in others' photos, clearly it's not the camera to fault here. Work on your technique and honing your skills.

As a lurker, I was annoyed by posts like these, which seem frequent on this message board. To whatever question a newbie asks, the response from the trolls is always, 'You're just not a good enough photographer!'

Can I ask where I said that I was not getting the quality I wanted?

It was just time for an upgrade and I wanted a smaller, lighter mirrorless. ::shrugs::
I am sorry that you took it this way. I only thought of what seemed to me was your best interest, as I took from your post that you're scrambling between different cameras to find the one that gives you the images you want. Not only that, but you seem to criticize the a6000 for its image quality and low light performance, and you're looking for a different mirrorless camera because of it, even though its ceiling is higher than the D7000's with comparable lenses. You also say you're a beginner, yet this is your third perfectly capable interchangeable-lens camera already; that doesn't seem like a good situation to me, and might spiral into more G.A.S.

I don't really understand the "time to upgrade" notion. The time to upgrade, as I see it, is when there are things you know you don't like about the camera, and you can afford a camera that fixes those without causing new problems. You do say you're looking for a smaller and lighter setup; is that all? You also said about the D7000 that you "found aspects of the autofocus and other features annoying," even though reviewers and other users tend to rave about them. So is this another part of the camera you wish to "fix" with an upgrade?

I don't mean to sound rude or anything, but … this is your third modern and very capable interchangeable-lens camera. If you're not getting the sort of quality you wish or see in others' photos, clearly it's not the camera to fault here. Work on your technique and honing your skills.

As a lurker, I was annoyed by posts like these, which seem frequent on this message board. To whatever question a newbie asks, the response from the trolls is always, 'You're just not a good enough photographer!'

It was just time for an upgrade and I wanted a smaller, lighter mirrorless. ::shrugs::
I am sorry that you took it this way. I only thought of what seemed to me was your best interest, as I took from your post that you're scrambling between different cameras to find the one that gives you the images you want. Not only that, but you seem to criticize the a6000 for its image quality and low light performance, and you're looking for a different mirrorless camera because of it, even though its ceiling is higher than the D7000's with comparable lenses. You also say you're a beginner, yet this is your third perfectly capable interchangeable-lens camera already; that doesn't seem like a good situation to me, and might spiral into more G.A.S.

I don't really understand the "time to upgrade" notion. The time to upgrade, as I see it, is when there are things you know you don't like about the camera, and you can afford a camera that fixes those without causing new problems. You do say you're looking for a smaller and lighter setup; is that all? You also said about the D7000 that you "found aspects of the autofocus and other features annoying," even though reviewers and other users tend to rave about them. So is this another part of the camera you wish to "fix" with an upgrade?

Notice how that smaller, lighter part was not even touched?

No, I don't notice that, because I did touch on it. I asked if that's all you're looking to change from the D7000, considering you also criticized its autofocus system and whatnot, even though I don't understand what you find wrong with it.

It's obvious you don't want my help, so I will not comment further. Unless you're willing to change this attitude, and answer the guiding questions.

No, I don't notice that, because I did touch on it. I asked if that's all you're looking to change from the D7000, considering you also criticized its autofocus system and whatnot, even though I don't understand what you find wrong with it.

It's obvious you don't want my help, so I will not comment further. Unless you're willing to change this attitude, and answer the guiding questions.

The subject here is not the D7000 so how are you being helpful?

Re: "change in attitude". Read your earlier posts and then you first.

I am very happy with my a6000. The 6300 and 6500 look impressive don't move me to spend the money to move up. I highly recommend you take advantage of what the camera offers by adding a top of the line lens. I bought the Sony Zeiss 24 1.8 to go with it and am extremely pleased. Another lens that looks like a great option is the Sony Zeiss 55 1.8.

I have the A6000 and it is an amazing camera. It takes a lot of getting use to as the controls and menus are not the most user friendly (imho). It will however, do things I've never been able to do with any other camera, like mounting (with the appropriate adapter) my old Minolta and Nikon lenses and focusing them manually and it will fit in your coat pocket. I also have the D7000 and it had some focus issues until I fine tuned it and found it needed a -17 adjustment. Now it is spot on.

I also have the a6000 and I love it. I won't hesitate to say that it's the best mirrorless camera in that price range. As mentioned, there are better mirrorless cameras (a6500, a7 series, etc) but those are far more expensive, and there are DSLRs in the price range that are probably pretty close if not better in low light situations because of the a6000's age (Nikon d3400 comes to mind.) But if you're looking for reassurance on your purchase, it's definitely one of the best bang for your buck purchases you can make.

I also agree with the advice that you should look at getting a lens that really lets it shine. If all you're using is the kit lens, that might be where some of your dissatisfaction is coming from. I would look trying one of the prime lenses, like the superb 24 1.8 that has been mentioned, or the 35 1.8 or 50 1.8. I really think you'll see a drastic change in quality.

I think the poster above was simply saying that the equipment used to make images is less important than the photographer at the controls. I believe this too. My advice to photographers about equipment is that one should choose the equipment that makes you happy. If the Sony mirrorless makes you happy you have a better chance of making better images with it and certainly no less of a chance. What makes other people happy is immaterial.

It is a great camera by Sony and i mostly use it for my photography purposes.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back