Sony A7 - Nikon, Hasselblad & Canon user VERY impressed

I have an nex-7 so it's a mirrorless camera with an EVF and I just tested lag. It does become more "jumpy" instead of being as smooth as not shooting, but it is continuous in that it never goes black like a camera with a shutter. Plus it is shooting at 10 FPS so even if all the EVF was showing was the actual frame shot then that's still pretty fluid in my opinion, although I felt I could discern movement in between shots.

When you watch sports on tv you're getting 30 FPS so if I'm viewing 20 FPS through my EVF while it's shooting 10 FPS it's plenty smooth to be able to follow a subject even if it's not real time like a TTLVF.

In all I love my EVF and feel that the benefits like simulated WB and exposure out weigh the drawbacks. Just my opinion.

I have an nex-7 so it's a mirrorless camera with an EVF and I just tested lag. It does become more "jumpy" instead of being as smooth as not shooting, but it is continuous in that it never goes black like a camera with a shutter. Plus it is shooting at 10 FPS so even if all the EVF was showing was the actual frame shot then that's still pretty fluid in my opinion, although I felt I could discern movement in between shots.

When you watch sports on tv you're getting 30 FPS so if I'm viewing 20 FPS through my EVF while it's shooting 10 FPS it's plenty smooth to be able to follow a subject even if it's not real time like a TTLVF.

In all I love my EVF and feel that the benefits like simulated WB and exposure out weigh the drawbacks. Just my opinion.

On mine, the result varies depending on the burst speed I use. On the Hi Speed (8 fps) and Exposure priority mode (10 fps) I get a stop action movie feel with an image of each shot until I hit the buffer limit (13-14 shot depending on RAW or RAW+JPEG).

On Lo Speed (~4-5 fps) I get a totally smooth, live video image that goes black when the shutter closes. Probably closer to what Robbin wants as it is easier to see the change in direction of a subject.

So as someone who has lectured about photography, a teacher and ofcourse worked as a photographer over the past 30 years Ive had many cameras in my hands, some of my fashion photographer friends use Sony but I never worked with one. A Sony rep gave me one to play with a few weeks back and all I can say is wow!!! image quality aside what a beautifully balanced camara, light and small with no drawbacks in the way it communicates with the photographer. My only concern would be speed and choice of lenses especially for my safari work

Not the best system for long range work like a safari. There are minolta lenses available but the prices are ridiculous. AF could be better but its reasonable. The live view is really awesome though. Prices are good too. Get some of the sonnar glass on a Sony and its pretty nice.

Most reactions

Back