Sony A77

Yes, 16,000 is a serious lack of ISO range.:lol:

skieur

Yea.. if you like massive noise at anything above 1600! :)

No, massive noise at all, if you use the twilight option up to ISO 25,000.

skieur

OK, enough bickering guys... Look, I own a A77, AND I work for Sony. But there is just no way I will say that the camera does not have noise above 1600 ISO... The fact is, you can start seeing some noise at 800 ISO. Does this make this a bad camera? NO WAY! It is STILL a pretty good camera, but saying that it beats EVERY OTHER camera in EVERY SINGLE SPEC is just not true... I would still choose this camera if I did not work for Sony, and since I bought it when it came out, I had to pay full price for it, and I do not regreat it (I was replacing my A380, which I still own).

I love the camera, I find the ergonomic pretty well layed out (if you are used to another brand, it does take some getting used to, but that's to be expected), and the features are quite rich. Video is amazing, and the pictures (quality), which is the main reason I got the camera in the first place, is quite good.

I have one. It's awesome. The EVF is like looking at the real thing.

Cosmonaut I see you have the a99 and D800 and I wonder how does these cameras compare in low light performance ?

Yea.. if you like massive noise at anything above 1600! :)

No, massive noise at all, if you use the twilight option up to ISO 25,000.

skieur

OK, enough bickering guys... Look, I own a A77, AND I work for Sony. But there is just no way I will say that the camera does not have noise above 1600 ISO... The fact is, you can start seeing some noise at 800 ISO. Does this make this a bad camera? NO WAY! It is STILL a pretty good camera, but saying that it beats EVERY OTHER camera in EVERY SINGLE SPEC is just not true... I would still choose this camera if I did not work for Sony, and since I bought it when it came out, I had to pay full price for it, and I do not regreat it (I was replacing my A380, which I still own).

I love the camera, I find the ergonomic pretty well layed out (if you are used to another brand, it does take some getting used to, but that's to be expected), and the features are quite rich. Video is amazing, and the pictures (quality), which is the main reason I got the camera in the first place, is quite good.

What I said jfrbat was NO MASSIVE noise above 1600. If you compare 1600 shots of the A77 with shots from Canon and Nikon, you will notice that they ALL have noise at 1600.

skieur

Cosmonaut I see you have the a99 and D800 and I wonder how does these cameras compare in low light performance ?

I compared shots from both at low light and found to my surprise that the A99 was marginally better.

skieur

goodguy said:
Interesting, thank you for the reply.

Keep in mind that the reply that you are referring to is from the biggest Sony fan on the entire forum, with the exception of maybe one other person. I wouldn't put any faith in it. Go to dpreview and compare the cameras for yourself.

goodguy said:

Keep in mind that the reply that you are referring to is from the biggest Sony fan on the entire forum, with the exception of maybe one other person. I wouldn't put any faith in it. Go to dpreview and compare the cameras for yourself.

Thank you for clearing this point, my question is more of a general nature. I saw a person with these 2 cameras and I was hoping he could tell me a bit about the difference between them in the performance department.
My guess is that the D800 will probably be better but I always try to keep my mind open and not be focused at one company and keep loyal to it even if I dont like its products so much.

goodguy said:

Yeah, a Sony fan boy who went out and spent 2,800$ for a Nikon D800 body...

Listen to yourself man...

goodguy said:

You are full of it, Tyler. I happen to use other cameras at work.

skieur

goodguy said:

Better yet, compare the shots like I did using the Imaging Resource Comparometer. Google it and go to the web site.

skieur

goodguy said:

Better yet, compare the shots like I did using the Imaging Resource Comparometer. Google it and go to the web site.

skieur
Thats always a good idea, still I love feedback from people who themselves held both cameras in their hands, used it and can tell me how they liked or disliked the cameras.

goodguy said:
I love feedback from people who themselves held both cameras in their hands, used it and can tell me how they liked or disliked the cameras.

...which skieur has not done.

The D800 has a good stop advantage over the a99 at high iso but the a99 focuses in low light much better the the D800. But both are so good at 6400 it's mind blowing.

goodguy said:
I love feedback from people who themselves held both cameras in their hands, used it and can tell me how they liked or disliked the cameras.

...which skieur has not done.

Oh!...and you would know that how?

skieur

skieur said:
Oh!...and you would know that how?

skieur

Because if you touch anything that isn't a Sony product your skin will melt.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back