Sony A77II vs A7?

minicoop1985

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My wife has an A65 currently, and there's some issues. She loves to do macro stuff with it, but when she goes to focus, the focus locks when the area in question (using a single focus point) is NOT even CLOSE to in focus. Her A55 never did this. We're thinking of getting her on to an A7 or A77II. How is the focus system in the A7? How does it do with A mount lenses? Definitely getting an A to E adapter with the focus motor built in if we go that route. Thoughts on this switch?

Last edited:
That's super helpful. We've decided to do the upgrade, but we'll see when it happens.

So far, it's been great. Dynamic range is much improved. Focus is actually working the way it should, and it can even handle a +4 close up filter on her macro lens without going absolutely haywire.

Yes, I noticed that when I upgraded from the A57 to the A77mkII ... less noise at higher ISO (though not a dramatic leap) ... focus is fast, but you gotta have the right settings for the right subjects.
Best of all for me, it feels better in my had ... probably because it is physically larger than than my old one. I think the A65 should be about the same size.

My wife (Blacksheep) really has not put the camera under action yet, but hopefully we will get the chance this year.

If she can get her hands on a Sigma 150mm macro ... it is an awesome lens.
I got one used and it is very sharp (wide open), fast focus ... and I don't have to get so close ... and I think the in-lens stabilizer is better than the Sony SS (still gotta test that).

I'll see if I can find her one. The Sony macro leaves me less than impressed.

She has the 50mm f2.8 Macro, the Minolta 100-200 f4.5, and a Tamron 17-50 f2.8. She loves the other two, but I feel like the macro is letting her down.

I almost bought her the Minolta 100mm for Mother's Day, but some asswad stole my debit card number and a good chunk of my money so I couldn't buy it.

That sucks. It happened to me once, but luckily I was depositing something at almost the same time at the opposite side of the city so my Bank knew it was stolen and refunded me promptly.

My bank has refunded me now, but still, it was a pain in the rear end.

Most reactions

Back