cosmonaut

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.gregmccary.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Yes I do want one, with an A mount.....

Does this mean you will be releasing your A99 from service?

What do you think about the 2 compared?

WOW!! and how about a few more KOOL terms like:

SONY_TANTALIZINGLY_GOOSEBUMPER_GREAT ...!

Or maybe that's a tad too long and drawn out...

How about fantastically,
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious :smileys::band::headbang:

:popcorn: - What will SONY's 2014 new cameras be like..?

I can't let the a99 go as it's my working event camera. The a7R doesn't come close in performance to the a99. The a7R focus doesn't track nearly as well, the shutter is loud, battery life not good enough, slow FPS ext. The a99 is more for a working pro the a7R is a better landscape camera. I wouldn't dare use it on a paid event. Maybe a second camera or a backup.

I can't let the a99 go as it's my working event camera. The a7R doesn't come close in performance to the a99. The a7R focus doesn't track nearly as well, the shutter is loud, battery life not good enough, slow FPS ext. The a99 is more for a working pro the a7R is a better landscape camera. I wouldn't dare use it on a paid event. Maybe a second camera or a backup.

Wow after the reviews I read I would not have expected that response. Thanks for the information. I will surely keep that in mind.

Ok, so based on what your telling me, the thing has a loud shutter, slow autofocus, shoots slow and has terrible battery life. Why is it I want one again? Lol

The shutter sound on cameras is often overlooked until after purchase and is probably not discussed enough. And it should be imo as it can be crucial. In a good portion of events you would not want to interrupt with a loud shutter sound. Quiet is good.

some really great photos in this thread. The bird I could imagine better, but the landscape photos are truly wonderful.

...Why is it I want one again? Lol

It seems that landscape photographers love this camera. Other folks, not so much.

Ok, well that would make sense really. For landscapes the shutter noise wouldn't be an issue, you generally have a month of sundays to autofocus and you can always carry plenty of extra batteries.. lol

What what I mean is it's an amazing camera. The image quality is by far the best I have seen. Most normal shooters that don't need blinding fast AF, 10 FPS, focus that will track fast moving objects.
For travel, vacation chasing the kids around the park and stunning wall hanging landscapes and your good. Don't take it to the Super Bowl if your workin' for a livin' and shooting for cash. That's what I mean.

Ok, so based on what your telling me, the thing has a loud shutter, slow autofocus, shoots slow and has terrible battery life. Why is it I want one again? Lol

What what I mean is it's an amazing camera. The image quality is by far the best I have seen. Most normal shooters that don't need blinding fast AF, 10 FPS, focus that will track fast moving objects.
For travel, vacation chasing the kids around the park and stunning wall hanging landscapes and your good. Don't take it to the Super Bowl if your workin' for a livin' and shooting for cash. That's what I mean.

Lol.. I get ya. Looks like the IQ really is fantastic. I wouldn't mind having something smaller than my DSLR, something I could carry with me when the DSLR is really overkill. I just haven't found one yet with an EVF that I really like or think would suit my needs. My other concern is that mirrorless is relatively new - and I'm a little worried about investing in a system until I know it's something that is going to get long term support. I just really haven't gotten that impression yet from a lot of these newer systems. The other consideration of course is that for the kind of money I'd be putting into a mirrorless could by me some really nice stuff for the DSLR I already have, so most likely I'll also be waiting for them to come down in price a tad before I really start taking serious interest.

My other concern is that mirrorless is relatively new - and I'm a little worried about investing in a system until I know it's something that is going to get long term support. I just really haven't gotten that impression yet from a lot of these newer systems.

I think if you look at the starting point of mirror less and where they are now is a great indicator that mirror less is here to stay. The features and things that you can do with these stomps all over DSLR no questions asked. Its only going to get better. There are flaws in them but there are flaws in every camera.

Have you tested the A7 or any other mirror less camera? Not just in the store but I like to say the best buy challenge, hahahahaah. Once you have really shot with one for at least a few weeks when you go back to DSLR it seems that they are just so far behind (feature wise).

I understand not wanting to dive in just yet but two things are going to happen. Either they are going to replace DSLR in the future or they are going to figure out a way to get those cool ass features into DSLRs. Like Pre Chimping and Focus Peaking to start with. Not sure how they would but thats the only way I think DSLR will be able to last in the future…IMO.

My other concern is that mirrorless is relatively new - and I'm a little worried about investing in a system until I know it's something that is going to get long term support. I just really haven't gotten that impression yet from a lot of these newer systems.

I think if you look at the starting point of mirror less and where they are now is a great indicator that mirror less is here to stay. The features and things that you can do with these stomps all over DSLR no questions asked. Its only going to get better. There are flaws in them but there are flaws in every camera.

Have you tested the A7 or any other mirror less camera? Not just in the store but I like to say the best buy challenge, hahahahaah. Once you have really shot with one for at least a few weeks when you go back to DSLR it seems that they are just so far behind (feature wise).

I understand not wanting to dive in just yet but two things are going to happen. Either they are going to replace DSLR in the future or they are going to figure out a way to get those cool ass features into DSLRs. Like Pre Chimping and Focus Peaking to start with. Not sure how they would but thats the only way I think DSLR will be able to last in the future…IMO.

Oh I think mirrorless itself will be around for a long time, just not convinced that the current mirrorless systems will use the same lenses as the next generation or generation after that, and I'm not yet convinced that if I do invest in Mirrorless system X now that it won't be replaced with Mirrorless system Y in a year or so and X gets abandoned. That's really one of the main reasons why I'll be waiting for a while myself before taking that next step.

Oh I think mirrorless itself will be around for a long time, just not convinced that the current mirrorless systems will use the same lenses as the next generation or generation after that, and I'm not yet convinced that if I do invest in Mirrorless system X now that it won't be replaced with Mirrorless system Y in a year or so and X gets abandoned. That's really one of the main reasons why I'll be waiting for a while myself before taking that next step.

But thats just about what happens with DSLR's????? Other than lenses. New models come out and replace older models. As far as the lenses I don't see how they would be changing their mounts in the future. I think they just will be adding to the arsenal. It would not make sense but then again I am not in the right person to make that or those decisions.

But thats just about what happens with DSLR's????? Other than lenses. New models come out and replace older models. As far as the lenses I don't see how they would be changing their mounts in the future. I think they just will be adding to the arsenal. It would not make sense but then again I am not in the right person to make that or those decisions.

Well that's just it, I don't have quite that much faith in the idea that they won't be changing mounts - I mean I'm not a Sony expert by any means but don't they have like 3 mounts already.. the A, the E and the FE - and while they might decide to stay with one the might not. They seem to be jumping around quite a bit and frankly that just makes me nervous.

The other thing I'm waiting on is the next generation of EVF systems - that will most likely be when I start seriously looking at getting a mirrorless.

Most reactions

Back