Sony a9 is coming!

jake337

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
And it looks like the first real mirrorless to compete with flagship sports systems like the D5 and 1Dx.

Post up an credible links you have. This body looks like it will be a monster and push nikon/canon forward!

I won't be giving up my Nikon Df anytime soon but I love to drool.

Sony A9 Officially Announced | Sony Addict

Interesting. I read some of that and then looked at the footnotes about the continuous shooting. "[iii] Electronic shutter mode. At apertures smaller than F11 (F-numbers higher than F11), focus will not track the subject and focus points will be fixed from the first frame. Display updating will be slower at slow shutter speeds."

I hope that it means that the view finder only will not track but I'm not sure. It's good to say that it will shoot bursts of images at over 14 fps but if it's not tracking a moving object that fast then what's it good for?

Interesting. I read some of that and then looked at the footnotes about the continuous shooting. "[iii] Electronic shutter mode. At apertures smaller than F11 (F-numbers higher than F11), focus will not track the subject and focus points will be fixed from the first frame. Display updating will be slower at slow shutter speeds."

I hope that it means that the view finder only will not track but I'm not sure. It's good to say that it will shoot bursts of images at over 14 fps but if it's not tracking a moving object that fast then what's it good for?

Yeah but who is tracking at apertures smaller than f11?

I read it as it will track wide open to f11 at 20 fps which is great.

Not that it really matters to me. I never use continuous and 5.5fps is plenty for me.

I'm more happy to see the new battery wth 2.2x as many shots and the new sensor.

The announcement that Sony passed Nikon for FF camera sales for Jan-Feb? Meh.
THIS announce, OTOH- wow.

As a Nikonite, I gotta say: gulp!

You look at this as a sports camera but I look at it as a wedding camera. With true 4K and such a powerful camera this just might be the ULTIMATE event and wedding camera. Sony still doesn't have the sports pro lenses to support it to attract sports shooters but man I am drooling over this camera. With the new 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 G Master lenses this is simply a wet dream.
I am invested into Nikon and will not be moving but if I wasn't........well I must admit I might have moved to Sony.

They come out with a new one every month it seems.

I'm sure the other makers are having problems catching up because I'm sure SONY patented their technology and methods of AF, etc. Thus Nikon, Canon etc have to develop (or license SONY's) their own AF/sensor processing technology.

Using the same sensor is the easy part, all the other processing chips would be the problem for them .. make their own or license it.

Last edited:
It does look like a very nice step forward for the system. Not anywhere near enough changed to tempt me to trade in my a7rII.

Dat new lens tho...

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

if Sigma makes that 135mm f/1.8ART for FE mount...I'm gonna seriously think hard.

I'm really curious about the battery life though. They say it's 2.2x more on paper, but we won't know for a fact until people use it in the real world.

if Sigma makes that 135mm f/1.8ART for FE mount...I'm gonna seriously think hard.
I'm using it on an a7rII with sigmas mc-11 adapter. Haven't had too much opportunities to work with it yet. But so far I'm loving it!

I'm sure the other makers are having problems catching up because I'm sure SONY patented their technology and methods of AF, etc. Thus Nikon, Canon etc have to develop (or license SONY's) their own AF/sensor processing technology.

Using the same sensor is the easy part, all the other processing chips would be the problem for them .. make their own or license it.

Canon's on-sensor PDAF is actually pretty nice.

Most reactions

Back